From:
Jacqueline Snyder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Sep 1999 10:15:07 -0600
Every once in a while (when the paycheck is slightly less skinny than
usual), I send a shelter that has asked for money a small donation.  I
think that kind of help is about the same thing as 'impulse buying'--you
just do it, and don't think a lot about it.  There is something the
shelters that need help can do that would make this 'impulse donating'
easier for would-be donors--make it clear where you are!

I suggest that requests for donations should include a postal address, and
tell how donation checks should be made out.  For example, "Please send
donations to our vet, Dr. Zock at 123 High St, Somewhere., NY 01234, and
write on the check that it is for Carol Jone's Ferret Shelter."

The same thing goes for shelters that just want some help with the
ferrets--if I saw that a shelter near me needed help, I'd be likely to go
by.  But if I read a request for help and couldn't tell where the place
was, I probably wouldn't send email and ask for more info.

Respectfully (because I can hardly imagine trying to take care of dozens
of furheads--you folks who do are made of tough stuff),

Jacqueline