From:
Ann Gruden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Oct 2006 19:14:41 -0400
While not truly ferret oriented I did want all to be aware of this as
many on this list are involved with other companion animals and animal
welfare, thought all should be aware of this appalling situation. Also
to say that I reviewed the list and as of this evening there are no
ferrets or other mustelids listed.

The primary need right now - other than to alert the animal loving
community - is for people/places willing to give santuary to some
hoofed animals, and funds for the auction. Donations for the auction
close at 10am - but after that most likely funds will be needed for
transport/vet care etc. depending on how many animals the coalition
can save.

It's easy to join the yahoo group list to stay posted or to offer help.
Best Friends is doing a major share of the coordination.

Posted with permission:
---------------
"I don't normally ask /my own contacts/ to donate to anything, and
haven't as a rule used any e-mail addresses in my possession for
anything other than announcements and passing along of links to
electronic petitions, so I hope you'll forgive me this one time, and
help however you can...whether it's financially or helping to pass this
e-mail on to animal lovers you know. This is something in our own
backyard (practically), and it's galling to animal rescue and welfare
organizations nationwide.

Catskill Game Farm is closing its doors and putting all its holdings --
including animals -- up for auction Oct. 18. These kinds of
closing-our-doors auctions are typically bad news for animals of any
species. Having tried every avenue imaginable, Best Friends and a new
coalition have only one remaining option -- outbid at the auction
tomorrow. You can read more at:
http://network.bestfriends.org/newyork/news/8418.html. Any money
donated gives them just that much more to work with tomorrow.

The Critter Connection is one of a group of rescues, sanctuaries, and
private individuals that have stepped up to say they'll help take in
some of the 40-50 guinea pigs that were just added to the auction list.
(See
http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/CoalitionforCGFAnimals/message/121
for more information.) We're already full, but we can't walk away from
this.

This is an ugly and unfortunate situation that is unbecoming of the
original intent of the Catskill Game Farm. Whoever can be saved of
the Farm's animals will be a victory.

Thanks for reading.

Whitney
 -----------------
And yes, as a privately held business, sadly they can do this....though
there are some folks looking to see if they are selling any endangered
animals....

Ann Gruden
Ferret Assn of CT

[Moderator's note: I was there last week to check out the place. Some
of the more exotic animals appear to have had already been sold.

While the little domestic/domesticated animals seemed to be well-housed
and in decent condition, the fewer exotic animals were probably
inadequately housed. A poor pacing bobcat in a way too small enclosure
is a good example of a bad situation.

Last I heard there will be Humane Society and some government oversight
of the auction, but I am rather skeptical. And there are a LOT of
animals! As in over 2000, maybe even 3000. BIG]