Date:
Wed, 8 Jul 1998 20:45:04 EDT
In a message dated 7/7/98 8:03:51 PM, [log in to unmask] wrote:
>Today Simon is resting and recuperating from the surgery. He is on Regla n,
>Carafate and Tagamet. A small section of the lining of his stomach has been
>sent for biopsy. I should be able to bring him home tomorrow.
>
>I feel very bad for poor Simon that we put him through a surgery for
>nothing. But given the symptoms, what else could we do?

It sounds a lot like Megaesophagus (spelling is probably wrong - enlargement
of the esophagus).  I've had two ferrets with this before, and it is almost
impossible to deal with.  Keep the ferret in an upright position while
feeding, and upright for a half hour after wards, and the food might stay
down and start to process.  Then again, maybe not.  It has been a couple of
years since my last patient - maybe there are some advances in treating
this.

Pam