From:
Kimberly Platz and Toby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Jul 1996 09:56:22 -0400
Hi everyone!  This morning I was woken by a phone call from 8 in 1.  Over
the weekend I had experienced problems with little worms in Toby's poops.
I talked to several people on Ferret Chat (AOL) who suggested they were
maggots from the food.  I commented that I had changed to 8 in 1 only a few
days earlier.  I stopped the 8 in 1 and the worms went away!  People
suggested that I write to 8 in 1 regarding this and let them know of the
problem.  I did and I received my response this morning.  Marty from 8 in 1
states this is impossible on two counts.  First because 8 in 1 is package so
that no parasite could possibly enter and secondly because any parasite in
the food would be digested by the ferret.  Now, I don't know what the truth
is and plan to take Toby to the vet despite the fact that everything has
been fine and normal since changing back to Iams Kitten.  I am curious if
any of the vets have any ideas about this.  Also, I am concerned because if
this is true that are several people who think it's just the food and not
round worms or someother illness.

Anyway, while I had him on the phone, I thought I would ask him about the
vitamin A dosing in Ferretone (I had just read something that reminded me
about this on the FML :)).  He told me that if doesd EXACTLY as said on the
bottle it was the PERFECT amount of Vitamin A.  I spoke of the knowledgeable
people on the FML and the research contrary to his belief.  Marty was very
kind and listened to me but is undaunted about the dosing.  Oh, yea, while I
was talking with him I mentioned the FML and he plans to sign on - soon.
So, maybe these debates can go on in a public forum where maybe a concensus
will be reached... I hope... Well, just thought I would pass along my early
morning phone call (it wasn't really that early but when you stay up until
4:30 the night before 9 am feels like 6!)

Kimberly(I finding a vet!) and Toby (but mom I feel fine!!!)

PS.  While I'm at it, I just moved to Lancaster, PA.  Are there any ferret
people near by who could recommend a vet or enjoy meeting Toby???  Thanks!