From:
"Dawn Smith, LOS National" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 May 2004 14:25:05 EDT
Hi all,

I do not like to get involved and feel that mudslinger is wrong.  I am
not posting this message for my own benefit but that of Tiny Prints.  I
have meet Tiny Prints and have no reason to believe that they are not a
rescue or that they are not using their donation money for sick ferrets.
I have not been to her establishment or met her ferrets personally but
I know from other people, she is a legitmate rescue.  I know also she
started in September of 2003.  So far she has a limited number of rescues
but I do agree with starting small and managing what you have.  I have no
reason to believe that she has co-mingled her funds.  I do believe that
people and rescues should be innocent until proven guilty.  I have see no
physical evidence to prove she is not a rescue.

Though their many be many reasons for doubting a legitmacy of a rescue
but I would like to clarify that a rescue is not limited to only rescue.
Many rescues board, sell and make cottage items, resell items for
donations, breed for health and longevity (but do not put their own
breedings before a rescue but simply wish to improve the ferret),etc.
Many that I meet that breed put their profit towards rescues, there is
nothing wrong with making money to use it for the rescues.  We are living
in a hard world these days when gas prices, electric prices, fuel prices,
medical prices, ferret food prices, etc., all go up.  Though everyone has
their own decisions on what a rescue or shelter should not do or should
do and this subject is very political and can be argued for days without
end.  I only say that before you decide if a shelter is legit or not,
please get evidence first.  Too many lawsuits have started this way and
I do not want to see this in the ferret community.  Maybe requesting to
visit that rescue or asking for their adoption contract or some other
proof will help you to decide whether or not you wish to deal with that
shelter or rescue first.  If anyone would like LOS's inspection list or
other information on how we determine a legit rescue, they can email me
at [log in to unmask] (but please allow 1 week for response as I am busy
with our upcoming shows).  But again I just wanted to say that I have no
reason to doubt the legitmacy of Tiny Paw Prints.  I hope this helps when
deciding a legit rescue.  Though no plan is fool proof and there are
assistance programs but several are overloaded by rescues in need.  I
recommend contacting the shelter directly.  You can certainly ask for
the shelter vet address and send the money there or even sending the
supplies they desperately need.

Sincerely,

Dawn Smith, Vice President
Legion of Superferrets National