From:
Todd Leuthold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Mar 2004 12:46:12 -0500
Condolences to those with lost, sick, or angeled feather filchers...

(Hey!  That ferret toy has feathers!  Let's steal them!  Mine!  No,
*mine*!  Gimme that feather!  Ha, ha!  Not *I've* got the feather!
MineMineMineMineMine!)

In Saturday's (FML #2004-4450) suzi lambert mumbled something about:
>I have a ferret named Lu Lu Bell (AKA Lucifer) who is quite a challenge.

Don't we all? :)

>I need some suggestions to help ferret proof the gate now.

I'd recommend measuring the opening of that doorway and then going to
your nearest Home Supply store.  Go to the lumber and glass department
and find where they have the plexiglas materials.  Usually, they will
have scrap pieces laying around.  Take your measurements and check them
against some of the scrap pieces.  You only need an additional piece of
about six inches high, since your little one has probably grown about as
much as she will in length.  If a piece is a little too long, ask them
if they will cut it down for you.  Just fit the extra piece at the to of
your current gate and you've solved your problem!

Another suggestion is to get a piece of PVC pipe that is about 1 inche
in diameter.  Ask the service person there to cut you a piece exactly as
wide as your doorway opening.  THEN ask him if he could cut a slit the
length of that pipe in it.  A good service person can do this on the
table saw.  Make sure that the slit is only as wide as your barrier is
thick.  Then just slip the piece of pipe over the top of the gate and
she won't have anything to hang on to any more!  :)

>She has also learned to climb me and climb my leg so that when I go over
>the gate she is clinging on my leg and goes over with me.

The obvious solution here, is to place items you want to work with, over
the barrier first (set the bowls on the other side of the barrier), so
that when you go over, you won't have your hands full.  To prevent her
from jumping up and climbing your leg, pick her up and carry her with you
when you step over the barrier, then turn around and put her back down on
her side of the barrier.  I do this all the time with my ferrets.  The
few moments of attention they get from being picked up and carried seems
to satisfy them.  If it doesn't, its too late for them to do anything,
anyway.  Remember to put your extra barrier protection up as soon as you
put her down, though...or put her on your shoulder, then add the extra
protection, *then* put her back in the room.

>And...she is bitey, I have been working with her for a long time and she
>seems to get a little better and then she is back at it. She constantly
>bites and scratches at my feet and ankles.

Try putting some Vick's Vaporub on your ankles before going into the
room.  It can make a world of difference!  Another option is getting a
pair of jeans that are a bit too long for you.  Put them on before going
into the room...the extra length will keep her from getting to your
ankles.  You don't have the wear the jeans all the time...just hang them
outside the ferret room and wear them as needed.

I'd love to have her here for a while.  Most of my ferrets are just like
her!

Todd and the Fuzzbutt Rodeo Clowns!

---
mailto:[log in to unmask]