Date:
Mon, 25 Jan 2010 18:36:28 -0500
First, I want to thank everybody for the suggestions. From Kim, who
politely mentioned chicken necks (that was interesting, some hid them,
some were licked, few said no way, and 2 definitely liked them, will
probably continue with those, work on the ones that said yuck!) to Bev
who mentioned using powdered cuttle fish bone for brushing, (thought
that was a great idea, since I'm into natural things) Some of the Vet's
toothpaste's I don't care for what is in them. But there is an amalyse
one I like. As for OxyFresh, it has propylene glycol in it, ick...(look
it up.) Just wonder if 'something' can be added to the food, just to
help keep plaque down.. And Thank You Bob C. ! I was hopping you would
'chime in' . :) Very interesting and informative...as always.

It is so strange that these issues have popped up in my group of
current guy's. My ferrets in the past...I never really had a problem. I
have had 3 'groups' of ferrets. 1977-1994, 1994-2005, and 2005-present.
Those first two groups NEVER had their teeth cleaned or brushed.
Sound's like a 'bad ferret mom'. But! they didn't need it. Believe me
I would always check, all they ever had was just that very slight
discoloration on the upper carnasials. And of course as they aged, the
teeth would become clear.

So...what did they eat? Kibble...that was it!. Wish I knew better,and
fed prey, at least some cooked chicken, ect. but the old books I had
at first said to feed them milk and bread! And it wasn't 'ferret food'
either, we were told cat/kitten...so my first guy's ate Meow Mix, then
Imas kitten, then Totally Ferret came around. Back when it started in
OH. Never cared for Marshall's it really smelled bad...when it first
came out..

Did I have the 'other' typical ferret sickness? Yes! Cancers, Adrenal,
(Vet's called it hormonal issues) and alot of insulinoma. I'm sure
because of the kibble....But they lived 9, 10, 11 years!

Right now I have two going on 5 and they look/ act like kit's. Both
only like kibble/ soups/ cooked stuff. Very healthy..except for a few
dental issues. One lost a tooth (during a vet cleaning) one needs vet
cleaning soon. But they aren't horrible/awful at all. Just tired of
them losing teeth. My little 4 year old JBF girl...who IS a prey eater
and kibble!, lost both upper molars recently. It was interesting
watching her try to eat her mice at first...but the gums toughened up,
doing fine now. :) So...I'm going to start to be more faithful to
brushing/ vet cleanings (as needed) and work on the 'kibble crunchers'
to eat a little more natural diet too. You learn as you go...heck...my
first ferret lived in a 55 gallon fish tank with cedar chips...'the
horror' !! ;) And now?...well they have the whole house. :)

Joan and the Fuzzies
(owned by ferrets since 1977)