From:
colburns <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Mar 2007 13:06:43 -0400
Yesterday, Renee Downs wrote:

>Hi, all. I am preparing to begin my research project for my
>dissertation in Bioacoustics. My project is designed to obtain
>frequency specific information regarding hearing thresholds in ferrets

Ah. Let me help you with your research.

There are a number of things that ferret's simply can't hear that are
clearly audible to humans. Here is a list:

1) "NO! No no no no" and any variation of the syllable "no" regardless
of pitch, frequency, rapidity of utterance, or psychic pain behind it.

2) "DON'T!!!" See above. Likewise more complicated structures involving
   "don't" or "no!" such as "Don't do that!" or "Oh my GOD! NO!"

3) "STOP!" and any associated profanity such as "STOP it you little
   *&^%!" or "^&%$#@! STOP IT right now!"

4) "Come back here!" evokes no response whatsoever.

5) "DROP IT! also elicits no response.

6) "Give me that!" No response.

Some words and commands are clearly heard by ferrets, but they do not
evoke a logical response. For example:

7) "I swear I'm gonna...!" is never percieved as a threat by ferrets,
but as positive encouragement to continue doing whatever they are
doing, perhaps with the misunderstanding that there will be a reward
for the completion of the act.

8) "If you don't stop (fill in the blank) RIGHT NOW...!" Is apparently
percieved as "(fill in the blank) RIGHT NOW!", a command that is
instantly obeyed, sometimes with tragic results.

9) "Why did you DO that?" gets a positive response, such as war dancing
with or without dooking. It is completely unclear what it might mean
to them, but they take joy in hearing it, and will often repeat the act
that inspired the question as soon as physically possible.

10) "Not there! NO! NO!" is apparently percieved as a command to poop
"there", the "no's" of course being below the ferret's hearing
threshold.

Good luck with your project, Renee. Let us know if we on the FML can
be of any further assistence.

Alexandra in MA