From:
"Holender, David" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 18 Jun 2001 21:57:58 +1200
Howdy,

I thought some of you may appreciate an update of the situation here in New
Zealand re: The lobbying to have domestic pet ferrets banned.  Well I wish
there was something to report - good or bad, but there isn't I'm afraid.
The minister was to have made a decision by now, but so far nothing.  She
has been in a bit of bother both personally and politically of late and I
suspect that is partially to blame for the lack of an announcement.

To all of you who took the time to help me and the cause by

- offering encouragement
- writing to our politicians (locals and those from abroad)
- assisting with our ongoing education efforts at the Wellington Pet Expo
- collecting signatures for the petition
- meeting with local members of parliament
- writing to our eMail support address ([log in to unmask])
- writing letters to the editors of local papers
- keeping me 'in the loop' as to what sort of responses you were getting
  or other actions you were taking
- writing press releases
- anything else I've missed

I thank you.  You may not realise just how much your support means to me.
It means an a lot.  There are few things I am passionate about; my ferrets
are one of them.  I won't be giving them up.

The final figure for the petition collected by about 8 or 9 individuals at
both the Expo and part time over the ensuing week (some whom I have never
even met!) came to 1,216 or four times the estimated number of ferret
owners in the country!  Whose estimate I'm not sure, but the figure of 300
owners is often bandied about.  I had trouble finding anyone to accept the
petition on behalf of the Labour party (the senior coalition partner).  I
tell you for the most part dealing with NZ Govt.  departments is like
taking a trip into Wonderland, getting bounced around, do this, take that,
drink me, follow the white rabbit.  Hell, no one could even tell me what
the 'protocol' was for the acceptance of a petition.  I ended up sending
(not presenting, partly due to frustration and partly to get in before an
announcement was made) a copy to the Prime Minister and a copy to Jim
Sutton (Minister for Biosecurity) even though he is out of the country
until the end of the month, and his office refused to nominate someone to
accept the petition on his behalf and also even though he is an ex-farmer
and thus probably not terribly sympathetic to our cause.  When I can make
another copy, I will send it to Tim Barnett (Labour Christchurch Central).
Of all the politicians contacted, he has shown the most interest in our
cause and even took the time to be briefed on the issues by a Christchurch
fuzzy enthusiast.  Other politicians who saw political mileage in the
issue, have done nothing that I can see (they promised to keep me updated
on what they were doing).

I wish I had something more positive to report.

Thank you all again for your support.

-David