From:
Bill Williamson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 1 Sep 1995 08:56:20 -0400
>Feeding time is more of a feeding frenzy
>since all three ferrets are together at all times and they all get fed at
>once.  It's each furry for him/herself!  Is this a bad practice?  Do I need
>to switch them to adult formula Iams for health reasons?

    The short answer around here is that it depends on the ferret.  Our
three pretty much have the run of the house with the cat, eat fish flavored
friskies supplemented with sliced turkey, green peppers (a special
favorite), mushrooms, wet cat food from our cat's dish, and a raisen (or
two) now and then.  They are not real fond of other (dried) kinds of cat
food, and Rocky who is nearly seven and has insulinoma gags at the first
taste of #2 Chicken or Turkey baby food (Sorry Dr.  Williams).  She does
chow down on slurpys though twice a day (Thanks Rudy) and seems to be
holding her own.  Food and water is freely available and they get enough
exercise so they stay thin.

  ---

>I was recently contacted by the City animal control office and asked for
>input as to how many ferrets should be allowed per household.

        Such an ordinance seems rather silly to me.  I am not aware of any
such law or proposal being considered.  Certainly it never has been in Mass.
          Wouldn't better wording be some such as 'shall not create a
nuisance'?  So much would depend on the size of the dwelling, feelings of
the landlord, neighbors, housekeeping habits of the tenant or homeowner etc.
I think that governments do their constituents, and themselves a diservice
by trying to micromanage and control people with laws like that.
        Perhaps you should ask how many cats and/or dogs can reside in a
household ?? Also if the authorities do decide to procede, I would think
that the logical (and fair) thing to do would be to make any ordinance apply
to 'pets' rather than making it species specific.

Bill, Susie, Rocky, Squeekers, Peaches and Jack
Framingham, Mass

        - Never underestimate the power of an entrenched