Date:
Wed, 30 Sep 1998 00:29:07 -0400
To the Girl in Louisville KY:

I live in Louisville and have owned ferrets here for 6 years.  I am
assuming that you go to U of L.  Please be forewarned that KY is NOT a
ferret friendly state.  There is a licensing process you can go through,
but it is expensive and lengthy.  My vet told me that there ore only 7
ferrets registered in KY and my sees at least 100 on a regular basis.

It is my opinion that our game warden just doesn't like them.  The last
time I called to find out about licensing (about a year ago), his office
told me that he wasn't planning on registering any more.

That said, I haven't heard of anyone having their ferrets taken away in KY.
I once had a policeman in Central park tell me that I had to keep them in a
cage in the park, but he made no threats of taking them away or anything
like that.  (for those who don't know, Central Park has a state police post
in it.)

Anyway, if you truly think you can handle a ferret in an apartment, I would
suggest going to Shivley Animal Clinic on Dixie Hwy.  and asking about
ferrets looking for a good home.  They usually have a lot of ifo there.
They are also by far the best ferret vets around.  They have taken care of
all sorts of ferret problems for me, including surgery.  I personally
recommend Drs.  Mary Jane and Joyce Fuchs.

You can also try to buy them in Indiana as they are illegal to sell in KY,
but I strongly discourage this.  I get calls at least once a month begging
me to take ferrets that are no longer wanted, but I can't handle more than
the five that I have now.  If you can't find anyone willing to GIVE you
one, please don't buy until you talk to me.  Like I said, people are always
wanting me to take them because the newness has worn off, or they don't
want to take care of sick or geriatric pets.

If I can give you any more info or help, please feel free to e-mail me.

Britta