From:
Judy Gronwold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Oct 2000 18:43:32 EDT
Dawn wrote:
>And you are right, we do not know how ADV is spread.  But we can't live
>our lives in fear of our ferrets catching something.  We can be careful
>and take precautions, but we cannot prevent everything.  If it happens,
>it happens, and we deal with it.  This is all my HO, and I respect you
>for having yours.  I just wanted to share my thoughts on this.

I certainly respect anyone's opinions, but I feel I need to make two
comments here.

First, no we cannot prevent everything...but we have made great strides in
preventing distemper and rabies...it *can* be done; but with ADV, a lot
more research is needed before it can happen.

Second, your comment "if it happens, it happens, and we deal with it" made
me feel very sad.  The only thing *you* would have to "deal" with is losing
your ferrets...but what about them?  They're the ones that will become
sick, not you.  I don't know firsthand what it feels like to have my organs
destroyed by antibodies, but my *guess* is that there is some amount of
pain and suffering involved.  Is that acceptable?  I have seen fear and
confusion in my ferrets' eyes as they waste...I've felt completely helpless
when they stare at me as though begging me to make them feel better.  Is it
my imagination?  Perhaps...but I don't think so.  I really do believe they
"talk" to us.

I certainly don't suggest that you "live in fear"...but I DO suggest that
you contribute whatever small or large amount you can to research, and help
to spread the word to others about this terrible disease, so other people
will also donate.  For almost 50 years, people have apparently had much the
same "thoughts" as you...surely it's long past time to now take pity on the
ferrets and do whatever we can to stop this disease.  Knowledge is power...
and without it, we are powerless.  I, for one, have chosen NOT to be
powerless...ferrets' lives depend on it.  Sadly, I can't do anything to
help my own ferrets but, hopefully, my efforts and research will help
others.

Judy
Please give...the ferret you save may be your own!
http://www.geocities.com/russiansmom/index.html