From:
Laura P McDonald <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Thu, 23 Dec 1993 08:55:10 -0500
Hi everybody!

     In the Dec. 27th issue of _Newsweek_, the "My Turn" column is entitled
"Ferrets & Snails & Really Tall Tales".  It's a sort of quiz on the media
coverage of the Menendez murder case. Question #4:

"What was said about Jose and Kitty Menendez as part of the defense effort to
show that they pretty much got what was coming to them?
     a) ....
     b) ....
     c) There was ferret poop all over their house.
     d) All of the above and then some."

The answer given was "d)".  What do you suppose happened to the fuzzies after
Mom & Dad were shot full of holes?  In California, no less.

Question #6:

"What was Kitty doing just before being murdered?
     a) Sweeping up ferret droppings.
     b) ...."

The answer was "c)", so I guess she wasn't.  The author of the quiz must not
know too much about ferrets, though, or he wouldn't have said "Sweeping" ferret
droppings.  Maybe "picking them out of the carpet", or "scrubbing them off of
the linoleum" =).

We're taking four of our guys to Indy with us for the 25th.  Allie the
pugnacious gets to stay home with the mink (a friend will look in on them).  I
really think that my husband's five little sisters (ages 6,7,8,9 &9!) would
actually send us right back home if we didn't bring anything furry to visit
with us!

It's terrible to hear about what's happening in KS.  I'm not as pleased as some
at the idea of increased publicity, because I live on the edge of a
non-enforcing FFZ.  Our beloved (not!) county vet, Dr. Gesel, might get the
idea that ferrets really are worth confiscating if this gets blown up too big
(and the state of Kansas wins).
     Kansas in general isn't too good about civil rights.  This is the state
where Fred Phelps ran for governor on an anti-homosexual platform, and actually
sent spies to the gay rights march in D.C. to take photos so that he could
smear local people when they came back home!
     As far as getting local authorities to stand up for ferrets, Linda Harrah
told me that she contacted practically all of the Franklin County, OH vets
encouraging them to support making ferrets legal.  She said maybe seven made
*anonymous* phone calls or sent letters, and only *one* vet spoke out in person
on behalf of legalizing ferrets.  Politics suck.

Well, I'm off to let my sharks frolic in our 1/2 inch of snow!

Happy Holidays!
Laura McDonald & the fuzzy crew