Date:
Sat, 19 Jun 2010 16:56:22 -0700
I have carafate for Sprout and it says to give 0.5 mls up to three
times a day.

When should I give it? Just before feeding him? 30 minutes before
feeding him? 1 - 2 hours before feeding him? Should we just give it
three times a day about 8 hours apart without regard to feeding?

Sprouts cycle has changed slightly, he seems to be more willing to
eat, even though he should have been in his "I DON"T WANT IT" stage.
He has lost more weight down to 1 lbs 11 ounces but we've been able
to get him up to 1 lbs 13 ounces.

He didn't want to eat tonight (he got carafate 2 hours before his
feeding time). I was able to convince him to eat (not force him, just
hold him still and I think he figured he didn't have much choice or
decided to eat. After eating this time he was due for his pepcid and
pred. I kind of made him gag (I didn't mean to) when giving the pepcid.
After which he did start to have dry heaves (trying to vomit) while he
was still scruffed, I put him down and he continued to have the heaves
for about a minute then was okay and I gave him his pred. I understand
that vomiting is not common with ECE but he has vomited after a
feeding, before usually when I force him to eat some. ( I want him to
keep his strength up)

So basically I need to know how I should give the carafate for the best
results. I'm also wondering if he has a food allergy but if he did I
would think that he would have bad days (where he wont eat at all) all
the time instead of a cycle of eating and not eating.

I was feeding him 30 mls of food mixed with 30 mls of water (60 mls
total). I found out that is a whole lot more than I should be feeding
him even though when he is eating he will eat it all without problems.
I've since cut that in half, but 30 mls total is still pushing it. Its
tough when your ferret is so under weight. He is down about 7 ounces
from his normal now.

I've had suggestions of food alergy but if it was a food alergy why
would he have good days and bad days, it seem like they would all be
bad days. At any rate I'm ordering some non-chicken ferret food and
I'm going to cook up turkey or duck to puree and try it out.

I've also had suggestions of a bowel obstruction due to his wanting to
vomit. I'm going to check into a barium x-ray series with our vet next
week

Thank you

Mike