Date:
Wed, 9 Jul 2008 16:50:00 +0000
Hello to everyone,

It has been awhile since I have posted to update you all on Oreo's
(LuvU) progress. As you may recall Oreo came to us with a horrific leg
injury which resulted in having his hind leg amputated. For many months
he has been "on the mend", gaining some weight, working with mobility
and spending hours of digging in the rice box, (he liked that better
than the water aerobics we were trying to have him do!)

Of all the ferrets at the South Shore Ferret Care he is "the momma's
boy", and amoung his many wonderful attributes he is the one who
hobbles into the litter box or designated corner 100% of the time. He
leans to the right to make sure he doesn't go on himself and does a
tilted scoot to keep clean. We have a cloth covered ramp (thanks to
Rose German) for him to enable him to climb in and out of his cage and
is able to go up to the second and third floor of the Martins Cage if
he desires. He rests on soft bedding and likes to snooze near the St.
Francis Medal that a really nice person sent him which we have on his
cage. Sometimes when the early morning light hits the cage just so, the
circle of the medal casts a glow around him which looks like a halo and
catches my breath.

He has had regular visits to the vet and we have been monitoring not
only his overall health, and blood sugar (he is on pred and diazoxide)
but also a small lump near his pelvis where his leg was amputated. At
first we thought his body was forming scar tissue around the
dissolvable internal stitches, so to be sure we took monthly needle
biopsies which showed only fluid. We were assured that the stitches
would dissolve and to be patient. But as you all know "a ferret mom
knows" so for a second opinion we went last night. We sat in the
waiting room awhile and Oreo, being himself, draws people to him and
makes his worried mom educate the world about ferrets .....

It was no sad surprise to me that Oreo has a tumor growing near where
his leg was amputated. As well, due to the location, since we had to
shift a few things around "down there" it will be difficult to get to.
So what to do? Without treatment he may only have a month or so, with
surgery to try and remove or at least debulk it, he will have alot
longer.

I sit there near tears as so many other shelter moms and dads do, not
caring what the others in the waiting room are thinking, hugging my
special boy. He's already been through so, so much. Can he handle
surgery (good strong heart, strong survival instincts). Is the surgery
going to do more harm, will it really prolong his life (we think he is
about 4 years old). And least of all, but must be considered, how much
of the shelter's funds can be allocated to one ferret when the are
others who need us just as much.

Oreo and I sat down last night for a long time (over a big bowl of
soup) he gave me the same look he did when he arrived here many months
ago, that "I love you look"..... so I know we have to try and help him.

We will figure out away....peanut butter and jelly such sounds good for
lunch with a cold bottle of Brita water from home on a hot day. No more
ice coffee at Dunkin Donuts or fancy lunch for a while. Time to put up
some items on ebay, been meaning to do that anyway....

So how can anyone help? Send your prayers to a little three legged boy.
Send me your thoughts or advice if you have been through a similiar
surgery before. Browse the items that we have up on ebay (nice things
that we have, as well as the terrific bedding set that Rose German
(shelter saint) has put up to help us to help Oreo. His surgery is a
week from tomorrow July 17th.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140248006311

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250268724938

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250268728616

Hugs to everyone,
Diane Wall
South Shore Ferret Care
email and paypal account: [log in to unmask]