From:
Leslie Cucino <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Nov 2007 22:52:16 -0500
Hello all,

I said I'd give an update on Luna my orange tinged ferret, and Randy
my DMK boy after their respective surgeries.

Last Tuesday they both went under the knife, Luna for exploratory/
probable adrenal disease, and Randy was to depart with his male
ferret accessories.

Luna was definitely adrenal (left gland removed, right debulked). A
week later and NOW I can see the hair loss because she's not as orange
as before which was masking it. The majority of hair loss is on the
tops of her feet. Chalk up a ferret turning orange as another adrenal
sign, our vet said it was her glands going into hyper drive and
producing too much skin oil. She's been in our sick cage until her
staples come out this Friday. She's such a good girl, no scratching,
picking or excessive grooming so tonight she has an overnight guest,
her love Rocky. He had his adrenals out about a month ago.

Randy also did just fine and was allowed to go into the general
population cages that night. He was too pooped to pop, but I put his
love interest (Bruiser) into the second cage just to be safe. Randy has
made a great recovery, so great in fact that he acts as though nothing
is amiss and continues to attempt to make mad passionate love to
Bruiser, who is not amused anymore. When cage time comes, Randy is put
in the cage with all the girls whom he doesn't give a second glance
to, and Bruiser is allowed a nights respite with the other males. Poor
thing is going to have an identity crisis! How long DOES it take for
the testosterone to leave their system?

Randy isn't as smelly as before. I did attempt a bath when I couldn't
stand it anymore which earned me a few more puncture marks in my hand.
We won't do that again. He's learning to eat the gravy that they all
get each morning and evening. He loves the rice box, Ferretone,
Laxatone, Zupreem is his food of choice. He's learned how to get in and
out of hammies, climb the ramps, use the newspaper as his potty, climb
into the back of the empty drawer in my desk and he now gives kisses.
He's extremely friendly, happy and bouncy. When he's not molesting
Bruiser he easily gets along with the rest of the ferrets, male and
female and thinks my yellow lab is his own personal toy.

So all in all I'd say we have another Ohio Kid success story and it's
been well worth it :-)

Leslie