From:
Date:
Wed, 27 Feb 2002 12:19:37 EST
Late last night I received a call from a frantic, crying woman.  She had a
very sick ferret, no money, no car, nothing.

She lives in Boulder City, quite a ways from me.  From what she told me
her ferret got sick a week ago, maybe ate some Allerrest medication, or
chocolate.  The ferret got into her into her inlaws bedroom which is not
ferret proofed.  they boworrowed $100 from them to get her to a vet.  He
prescribed antibiotics, and recommended bloodwork.  They had no more money
so they just got the abs and took her home.

Shadow, the little sable female grew progressivly worse.  Thats when the
owners called me, late Tuesday night.  the owner was crying so hard I
could hardly understand her.  She wanted me to take her ferret and see if
I could help save her.

Operation rescue: I called my friend Brenda in Henderson, much closer to
this woman.  Her truck is broke and she just had back surgery mind you.
i told her we needed to get this little ferret, asap.  she called me
back, she borrowed her sisters car and she was going to BC to pick up the
ferret.  It was still a 35 minute drive for her.  It was already 10:30 pm.
her back was hurting like crazy, but she went anyway.

I get a call from her at 11pm, she is lost, i call the owners up and
have them call her at a payphone, my friend had lost her cell and the
directions some where along the way.

11:30 pm, contact made, Brenda picks up the ferret.  They want to send her
cage, but no room in the car.  They send her belongings, and gather up $4
in cange to give to Brenda for gas.  Brenda refused to take it but the
woman started crying again and insisted.  Brenda reluctantly took the
change, she thought it was all the money they had.

midnight, Brenda calls me, Shadow looks very bad, dehydrated, weak, bad
stools, lethargic, pale gums.  she is doubtful the ferret will survive,
plans are to bring her to Dr. K in the am to see if we can save her.  a
blood doner will be on stand by if needed.

Brenda is a wonderful critical caregiver to ferrets and has saved many a
ferret lives.  She tells me she is picking up a few things for Shadow and
heading home to care for her.

4am, phone rings, shadow is doing a bit better, some color in her gums,
stood up and used the litter box.  Brenda spend 3 hours medicating,
feeding and giving sub q fluids to the ferret, finaly putting her to bed
on a heating pad and geting a few hours rest for herself.  She will bring
Shadow to the vet in the morning.  all is quiet for now.

Today, I will await a report from my vet to see if we can try to save
Shadow.  If needed I will go into work late if she needs me to bring
Babyface in to be used as a blood doner.

I have not met Shadow, as all of you haven't.  i prayed for her recovery
last night and I'm keeping her in my thoughts today.  Please keep her in
your thoughts as well.  she is a very sick ferret, we will do all we can
to get her well, but if she is suffering, we will do the kindest thing.

Shadow, you hang in there little girl, i want to meet you and kiss your
little face, and hold you.  There is good things ahead for you, please
try to be strong and hang in there.  You are very loved by your parents,
Brenda and myself.

CJ
24 Carat Ferret Rescue And Shelter
"where ferrets are treated like gold"