From:
Regina Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Jan 1997 23:57:21 -0500
I'd like to second the suggestion that was made yesterday about looking for
a place for the ferret Edward Lipinski is so worried about with an AIDS
group.  I know I've heard of groups that bring pets around to AIDS patients
or other sick people; there should be something like that in Seattle,
Vancouver, Portland, etc.  This is not, I repeat not, because I in any way
believe that a ferret can transmit or carry human immunodificiency virus; I
just think that other AIDS patients might appreciate learning about ferrets
and that ferret in particular, and it would be great PR for the critters.

That said, I'm sorry if this offends you, Edward, even though your
sensationalistic style of posting seems calculated to provoke offense
itself: I don't think that ferret belongs with you.  Your first post on this
issue implied that you might have had the ferret put to sleep; I hope that's
not the case, and that it's not too late for somebody else to take the
ferret.  If all the science in the world isn't going to remove your fear of
this ferret, it won't lead a very satisfying life with you, and it seems
like your attitude would discourage any prospective adopters.  I hope that a
real home is found for this ferret as soon as possible, but if that isn't
happening, then I think it belongs in another shelter or with a foster home
that isn't afraid of what we anthropologists might call theories of
contagious magic.  My two cents.

Regina
and Cully and Amelia too

Regina Harrison
PhD Student, Anthropology; McGill University, Montreal, Quebec
Joint Co-ordinator, AGSEM-- McGill's TA union
http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Lofts/1083
"If that's all there is, my friends, then let's keep dancing" --Peggie Lee