From:
Lynn Mcintosh <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Dec 1995 13:30:17 -0800
Hi,
I'm seeking advice about breeding my jills with my hob.  I would like to
breed them, but have some hesitation, especially since speaking with a
Seattle Ferret Fancier's Club leader.  He pointed out that I don't know the
origin of the ferrets.  I can check into Tarzan's background, at least, and
trace it back a generation or two; he came from a small, private breeder.
But I'm stumped on Claudette, who is Minnie's mom (the two jills).
Claudette came from a pet store, according to the person from whom I
adopted her.

My purpose in breeding would be produce wonderful pet quality (or show, who
knows) ferrets.  If there hadn't been a ferret in the classifieds at a
reasonable price to begin with, I probably wouldn't have come to know and
love ferrets!  And, we now have seven, each and every one cherished.  Five
came from classifieds as readoptions and two came from a medical student
entubation program for which they were being anesthetized regularly.  It
took a lot to get them from the program.  None of them were babies, although
I would like to adopt a baby someday, when more ferrets are in order.

The person from the Fancier's Club suggested I spay the females then
purchase another lineaged female from a breeder.  But, with the likelihood
of Tarzan and Claudette being closely related so very, very slim, it seems
ashame to spay the beautiful jills I already have.  Claudette (about 3 years
old) and Minnie (about two, who was the runt of nine kits, Claudette's first
litter) are beautiful ferrets with long, thick white coats and ruby eyes.
They're very affectionate and love to be petted and cuddled.  Claudette was
a wonderful mother with her first litter, I was told.  I do wonder how great
their sight is, however, as they prefer toys that make sound, and ignore
balls.  How could I check out if they are short-sighted (they're not blind,
I'm quite sure) and how likely is it they might pass this trait on?

Tarzan is a big, gregarious, exeptionally bright black sable hob.  He's a
sweetheart.

I would not place the kits unless I was absolutely certain they were going
to great homes.  I would keep them before letting them go somewhere without
excellent care and oooddles of love.  New potential ferret parents would
have to have already studied about ferrets and experienced them, plus meet
other criteria.  I would consider a package including information, a vet
coupon, etc.  for new people.  I would request that any kit, for any reason
(health or anything) be returned to me, no questions asked if necessary, for
a full refund.

I am asking about the need for ferret kits in Seattle.  I'll check shelters
soon to see if there are lots of ferrets needing homes already.  Plus, I'm
going to call a breeder nearby me who had a couple large litters about two
months ago, as I want to know the babies could be placed in great homes.

Does anybody have an opinion on a lack or dirth of great ferrets in Seattle?

I'd also like advice on whether to breed ferrets of nearly unknown lineage.

(I am aware of the dangers of breeding, as I've been on the FML for a long
time, and know breeders in the Seattle area.  I would be doing extensive
reading soon, if they are going to breed!)

Tarzan (at about one-year of age) had begun to smell strongly and is
beginning to drag Minnie and Claudette around, to their shared disgust and
consternation.  So, I need to decide what to do soon.  Until this time
they've been the best of play and sleep mates, despite size differences.
Will I need to separate them soon?

Thank you so much ahead of time for any consideration and advice!,

Lynn Mc and the Gang of Seven jolly (well, except for the newly dragged)
fertsters (not to mention SO and, always, Wellington the HUGE, OLD sweet
CAT)