From:
Laura Bosch <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Aug 1996 20:56:00 -0000
This is a bizarre observation, but I've noticed that when I shine a bright
light in my ferrets' eyes (no, not to interrogate them) their pupils narrow
horizontally, not vertically like, say, a cat's pupils do.  Come on, get out
your flashlights and try it, and you'll see what I mean.  It's rather...
eerie.  So why are a ferret's eyes designed like this?  Any special purpose
in having horizontal-type pupils as opposed to vertical-types?  This
intrigues me greatly.  It annoys the heck out of my ferrets though, who hate
submitting to any type of scrutiny on any parts of their snaky little selves.

Laura
Nigel, Wayne, Cosmo the Big Stuff, and Xenia