From:
Jennifer McClanahan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Mar 2002 15:38:50 EST
First off, i have to admit that i totally agree with most of the shelters
out there that wont adopt to families with young children.  Granted, some
children mature quicker than others, but, still, you never know........

Anyways, this is MY story....

Me and my husband got our first ferret China (r.i.p.) back in 1994, my
step son was 4 years old at the time.  Now, Joey (step-son) lives with
his mother, but comes to visit us every other weekend, and we split the
holidays up.  O.k....Since Joey was so young, and didnt really have much
animal training, we never really let him and China interact with each
other.  Sure, we had the cage in the living room so they could look at
each other and get use to each other for when Joey got a little older.
Anyways, we soon had 2 more ferrets, Sugar and Tilly (all 3 are at the
Bridge now).  Well, during Joey's nap time, we would let the ferrets out
to play.  And eventually Joey out-grew his nap times.  So, we decided to
try to start off with small playtimes with Joey and the ferrets.  Joey
has always been very mature for his age, he has always handled the ferrets
with care.  BUT!!!  You also have to think about the personalities of the
ferrets.  China absolutely hated Joey!  Anytime she was around him, she
would look for any bare skin, and latch on.  She drew blood a couple of
times, then after that, we decided no more play time for Joey and the
ferrets together.  Now, Sugar and Tilly were great with him.  But, because
of China biting him, he got frightened of them.  All three ferrets passed
away when Joey was about 9 or so.

Well, Joey is now 11, and we have 10 totally different ferrets.  They
always have play times together.  Atleast once a day for 2 hours, Joey
and the 10 are allowed to play together.  They all absolutely adore him,
and he them.  He even holds Rueben up to his nose so Rueben can get a
quick nibble.  He loves it when Ruby attacks his socked feet.  Again, i
think its the not only the maturity level of the children, but, also the
maturity level of the ferrets.  Joey seems to get upset with me if he
dont get his playtimes with the ferrets.  He loves them, and they him.
He has a different favorite every other weekend when he is here.

He also helps out when the cats knock over the ferret gate.  He will
shuffle his feet quickly to put the gate back in place, he will help get
Delilah off the cage when she decides to be Queen Kong..  He helps out
alot with them when he's here....well, except for cleaning the litter
pans.  LOL.

Anyways, i just wanted to share my story.  I hope i didnt bore anyone for
to long.

Jennifer
http://www.geocities.com/beadeddrum/CuddleyCritters.html