From:
Date:
Thu, 31 May 2001 11:34:02 EDT
Hi everyone, Its been very busy here at the shelter.  I took in a ferret
that was attacked by a dog, 2 ferrets that someone left in a trailer when
they moved.  When I picked them up one had just died and the other was
falling over from malnutrition.  I will post their horrible story a bit
later.  We have taken in over 120 ferrets this year alone and more on their
way in.  Well if you remember Odo and Spooky, the ferrets that had trash,
cigarette butts and a filthy cage.  And Odo had chemical burns over 1/3 of
his body.  Well Odo is doing great and is going to a wonderful home with
other ferrets to play with this week.  Sadly, we had to put Spooky to sleep
on Tuesday.  His immune system shut down and he was very sick.  Brenda his
foster mom did everything she could for him but he just couldn't make it.
My vet also did everything possible for him.  I only wanted there ferrets
to see happiness before they died and at least Spooky had some good times,
just not enough before leaving us.  Odo will be very happy and his fur
looks great now.  I'll give you the condensed version of this story:

On Saturday I had a couple wanting to adopt a ferret.  They had a small
bunny cage, they didn't want to buy a big one until they were sure they
would like the ferret as a pet.  If they didn't like it they would just
get rid of it.  Well I was very nice to them and had them fill out an
application for adoption.  They called me on Sunday to tell me wheich
ferret they decided on, I put them off stating that it was a holiday
weekend and call me on Tuesday.  At that time I was going to tell they I
think it would not be good for me to adopt a ferret to them and explain
why.

Well on Tuesday Animal Control showed up on my door, had a complaint on my
shelter.  Too many animals, it was dirty and smelly, and I was cruel to
the animals, and I had 2 racoons in my backyard.  They are Coatimundis not
racoons.  The Ac guy looked around saw my paperwork, looked at the coatis
and said everything looked good.  He said it smelled like ferrets, but
thats what he expected in a ferret shelter.  He was very nice and asked
if I had anyone mad at me .

The end result is this, I need to get a zone varience, a cat and dog
fanciers licence.  This is money I do not have so, I'm not sure on what
I'll do.

I got the report on who complained and it was those people I was going
to refuse an adoption to.  I called them but the number was no good.  i
suspect they were from Cal and wanted to get a ferret before leaving and I
pissed them off , They called in the complaint just after we spoke on the
phone.  so all you shelters be cautious on who you refuse an adoption to,
people are awful.  i guess they thought I would get into alot of troulbe,
but Ac knows me and they are nice to me, thank goodness!

the only think that it did do was make me thing of what I am doing.  I have
been tossing the idea around of closing the shelter down.  I have to find a
jod very soon.  We have so many ferrets here that need homes and I wonder
just how much longer i can do this alone.

i owe the Ferret Store and my vet a ton of money.  My utilities are almost
to the point of shut off.

i don't know what to do.  i guess I'll keep truckin on til i can't do it
anymore.  And don't worry, the ferrets are still very well cared for and
are doing good!

Take care,
CJ 24 Carat Ferret Rescue And Shelter Visit us at:
http://www.geocities.com/a_24k_ferret/
We accept Paypal now!