From:
John Gordon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Feb 2000 22:35:26 -0600
Hi everyone,

I have absolutely NO intent to "flame" any individual on this list.  If
you take offense, it is because truth sometimes hurts.

Not long ago I commented that someone "assumed" that the majority of MF
ferrets were sold to labs rather than as pets when even PETA doesn't claim
more than 10%.  I asked why.  Have received no real answers as yet.  One
person said they had a right to their opinion and I agreed that they did
as long as they didn't state it as "fact" without documentation.  That
person explained that they "knew" it as they had "heard" it from many
they trusted.

VERY scientific. LOL!!!

In yesterday's FML again the "correct" position has been assumed.  I
sincerely don't mean to offend the person who wrote, "...I have always
believed that the early alterations of ferrets at ferret mills has
shortened the life span of the animals.".  But, again, I have to ask WHY???

What scientific information has ever been published to verify this
"belief"?  Please do not point me to the biased reports of organizations
with anti-business or animal "rights" agendas.  Show me some unbiased
SCIENTIFIC facts.

Mary VanDahm (F.A.I.R.) did a study regarding lighting, early alter, etc.
and found NO correlation to adrenal problems.  At least that was the last
information I saw published.  Correct me if I'm in error.  Mary is a truly
dedicated and loving "ferret" person who is also open minded enough to try
to find "facts" to support her conclusions.  She has had more experience
with "old" and "sick" ferrets than most of us.  I encourage you to support
her efforts in providing a loving home for ferrets that are either too old
or too sick to be adopted out.

Again, I'm not trying to create a flame.  I simply believe we have to be
careful in stating "beliefs" based on personal opinion as fact.  When I was
young I "believed" that Santa Claus brought me toys.  Nowadays, I'm the one
dressed up as Santa.  Don't need padding or a white wig !!!  Well, maybe
the wig and false whiskers.  LOL

I grew up on a farm where we bred and raised animals as a livelihood.
Frankly, the barn was in better repair than the house was.  That is because
the animals represented a large investment of money.  Their health was very
important to us.  We made every effort to feed the healthiest foods and
provide the best medical care when needed.  Why?  Because if these animals
weren't healthy we took a financial loss.

We also tried very hard to "improve" the breed with selective breeding.  If
we had one Holstein cow who was nearly all white, we tried to breed her to
a nearly all black bull with the intent of having a calf with the "proper"
mixture of coat color.  This made the calf more valuable to a buyer.  It is
GOOD BUSINESS to raise healthy animals.

We understood the interactivity of "nature".  We always allowed a Bullsnake
to live in our corncrib.  Why?  Because the snake ate rodents such as rats.
It's nature at work.

Interestingly, the lifespan of a rat in the natural environment of a farm
is MUCH shorter than the lifespan of rats that are kept as pets.  That is
why they procreate so frequently and abundantly.  As simple farmers without
"college" degrees we knew these truths.  It was called common sense.

What Bob Church has been writing isn't "new".  It is common knowledge to
those of us who have been around animals for any length of time.  It is
only "new" to people who have either limited or no knowledge of animal
husbandry - commonly known as farming.  It has been an accepted principal
for many years that animals in captivity live longer than those in the
wild.  Ask any zoologist.  Or farmer.

It is only when "man" interferes with nature that we upset the balance.

I sincerely hope I haven't offended anyone.  I just think we all need to
question some of these "facts" which are really nothing more than personal
opinion.  I believe everyone is entitled to their opinion, however, if both
sides aren't presented, new people on the list accept "beliefs" as truth
and "assume" facts that have no basis in reality.  This does not benefit
ferrets or the ferret community.  Logical and factual argument will always
overcome emotional "belief" and "assumption" when we are attempting to
educate the general public including lawmakers about our beloved furrfaces.

Thanks again, BIG, for providing this open forum.

John Gordon in Pekin, IL loving his "unnaturally" long lived ferrets
thanks in large part to a wonderful veterinary named Chuck Burmeister
who practices in Peoria, IL.