From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Apr 1997 09:39:27 -0700
Hello FML'ers:

This past Friday, Saturday and Sunday, Californians For Ferret Legalization,
Ferrets Anonymous, H&S Designs (Ferret cages and products) and California
Domestic Ferret Association all had booths at the Pet Expo.

I was helping out at the Californians For Ferret Legalization, along with
Jeanne Carley, Melissa, Don and Faith.  We had hundreds of people come by
our booth who were willing to write their assemblymember or senator
requesting them to support AB 363 the legalization bill here in California.
These individuals would have to wait up to five minutes for us to look up
the address information on their particular legislators and copy the
information onto the "Wanted Posters".  We went through over 500 flyers on
Friday and Saturday and nearly 300 on Sunday.  We also asked that after
writing or calling that they make copies and post the flyers, or at the very
least post the one flyer they had been given at pet stores or vets.  Most of
these folks were people who currently did not own a ferret, but knew someone
who did (in state or out-of-state) or had once live in another state where
they were legal and had owned one.  Exhibtors from other states were amazed
that ferrets are illegal here in California.

Jeanne, Melissa and I worked in the booth all three days (10am-6pm on
Friday, 9am-7pm on Saturday, and 9am-6pm on Sunday) and we are all very
tired.  Melissa and I left at 2:30pm on Sunday, but Jeanne and Faith carried
on and I understand it was continually busy that afternoon and even when
Jeanne was packing up people were asking for information.  We are all glad
that the show was so successful, since Jeanne had to spend so much for the
booth, airfare and lodging.  Not to mention the printing costs involved.
Californians For Ferret Legalization can sure use your donations to cover
their recent expenses.

Californian's please get involved.  All of those who have worked so hard
over the years to legalize ferrets, California Domestic Ferret Association,
Ferrets Anonymous, Californians For Ferret Legalization and others, cannot
continue to carry on the cause financially.  Ferret lovers or owners living
in California need to get involved, they need to write.  We a being lobbied
against vigorously by the California Farm Bureau and The Waterfowl
Organization.  We have alreadly had two members of the Water, Parks and
Wildlife Committee who are now waivering on their support due to
misinformation that was told to them by one of the above organizations.
Please get involved, if you do not the legislators will assume there is not
enough interest among their constituents to vote "Yes" on AB 363.  Write,
Write, Write or Call, Call, Call!  The Water, Parks and Wildlife Committee
will meet tomorrow (Tuesday, 04/15) to make their decision on approving AB
363.  Assemblyman Jan Goldsmith will be visiting to each of the
Assemblymembers on the "Wildlife Committee" to encourage each member prior
to the vote to ask them support this bill.  This is step one of seven steps
(perhaps eight).  We would like to get out of the "Starting Gate".

Please take the time to call or write your assembly and senate member.

Thanks,

Debbie