From:
Percy Pwood Georgia Wood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Dec 1999 21:12:51 -0800
I've been disappointed with one of the SuperPet Fun-nel cages ever since I
got it, and on Saturday we had a really scary accident with it.  Actually
there are several things I don't like about the cages, but what happened is
that the outside tubing collapsed, and Kouri fell, screaming, 6 feet to the
floor.

This is the 4 story cage with the long tubing drop on one end.  The tubing
on that configuration of cage pitches slightly upward (you can see the
difference between the angle of the tubing on 3 story cages and 4 story
ones, just look at ads for the cages) and the weight of the ferrets was
just too much for the integrity of the system.

For anyone considering this style of cage, please be aware it is built for
lighter ferrets than mine.  I have no problems with the 3 story cage, the
tubing runs in a straight line, and that cage houses my smaller ferrets.
The ferrets in the cage with the now broken tubing weigh 4.50 and 4.75
pounds each.

Kouri was quite frightened, and had difficulty walking when we got to him.
He crawled into their floor sleeping box and flat ferreted, while I
gathered up the ferrets that were out at the time.  He recovered from his
fall and fright, and is back to his normal bouncy self.

The cage, on the other hand... Well, Kouri, with his new membership in
'Handymen of America', had me cut a strip of vinyl flooring to cover the
exposed open area of the cage, and tape a cream cheese tub (empty) into
the end of the remaining tubing.

As for my other complaints about the cages, the doors are woefully lacking
in realistic closure mechanisms.  The ferrets in the small cage have to
be secured in with clips on 3 sides.  So there's my lovely teal and white
cage with a trio of big ugly dog leash clips hanging all over it!  The
other ferrets (Kouri and Welly) don't try to escape through the door, but
when they climb the front of the cage to reach their hammock, their weight
would pop the door open, so their door is also clipped shut.

I hope SuperPet will come up with corrective measures for both these items,
at least the door problem.

Georgia - the left coast one...