From:
Anne Ryan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Apr 2002 16:01:19 EST
Last fall during the course of an ironic series of events, I discovered
that my name/identity and health insurance were being used by someone to
obtain bogus prescriptions for controlled substances.  When I was told by
the authorities who the alleged perpetrator was, I was shocked and
dismayed to learn that it was someone I knew from ferret related events.

I am very limited on what I can say due to the ongoing investigation.
There are possibly other victims of this same alleged perpetrator in the
Eastern PA and Central NJ area.  The alleged perpetrator was able to
allegedly obtain the information they needed to use my identity very
easily and very casually, and allegedly could have taken that same
information from a lot of other people just as easily, without the
victims ever realizing it.

I'd like to encourage anyone living in these areas who attended a ferret
show, club meeting or other activity within the past four years to ask
their pharmacy for a printout of all prescriptions filled for them during
this period.  If you find any inconsistencies, I urge you to call
Investigator Mike Rasar, Narcotics Division, State of NJ Division of
Criminal Justice.  His number is (609) 530-5020.

Anne Ryan