From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Nov 2009 21:57:16 -0500
Ferret Run-Through (a fabric covered PVC pipe):

Forget about using this for a ramp for ferrets. Even though the product
appears to be extremely well made it is not only off-size compared to
many ramps (minor problem only in our case) but the fabric inside gives
no traction and does not let claws latch onto it so not only could our
older ferrets not climb it but neither could our ferrets in the prime
of life. It has true potential, though, so I am going to go through the
trouble of removing the covers from one of the ones I want to use as a
ramp, check it, and then sew in a strip of fabric that ferrets can
actually grab to see if that works. So, don't be swayed by the photo
and ramp statement found in some catalogs as I was because they simply
don't work for that use in their unmodified state. They DO have the
potential to have a good product here if they find a working solution,
and I think that it should be a solvable problem if they simply add
strips of a fabric that can be latched onto (though that is still a
hypothetical solution only). Hopefully, they will avoid fake sheep
fleece since that has been the cause of some "fur"balls.

Sukie (not a vet)

Recommended ferret health links:
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/
http://www.afip.org/ferrets/index.html