From:
Ferretwise <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Jan 2009 09:49:36 -0500
At Ferret Wise we started in in 1995 with 19 of the nastiest biters
imagineable. My hands were like chopped hamburger. Ferrets that were
beaten back in cramped cages while food (raw veggies) were tossed ion.
Angry, scared and hurting ferrets.

As you can imagine these ferrets were rehabilitated with kindness and
reassurance, not stern reprimands .

Ferrets bite for defense - to protect themselves. A true biter is
scared and instinctively trying to defend itself. Think f it restrained
in a cage, handled by humans left with little way to protect itself
(no options to run away and hide). When a ferret that has been
mishandled, mistreated or abused reaches a new environment they do not
trust humans. They will lash out in fear not wanting to be caged or
hurt. It is IMO with a slow and steady process of teaching them they
are in a friendly environment that one will manage to break through the
wall of fear. It worked with those 19, heck just having food helped!
It was not an overnight endeavor it took several months but all were
rehabbed all were placed and I learned a LOT about fear and defense

The worst case was Daniel and intact male that ended up in a SPCA. By
then we were known in the shelter community for behavioral cases and
many rescues can attest we have worked some small miracles with biters
here. Daniel must have been badly handled. He was a huge handsome dark
sable boy with NO TRUST for humans. You got nailed when you tried to
remove him form his cage... he was afraid, you got nailed when you
tried to put him in his cage, It took a long time to get Daniel
tolerant of human handling. Even after his neuter to reduce hormonal
issues, he was an angry boy and bit too the bone. His rehabilitation
was taking so long that both shelter Dad & the vet wanted me to throw
in the towel. He has a BAD biter. But I had a talk with Daniel- I
wrapped him in a towel and held him close to my chest. I told him it
was really really important that he begin to trust. and lo and behold
within 3 weeks of our talk he was actually being screened for adoption.
It worked.

I do NOT feel that deprevation of food (starvation) or hitting a
ferret is a positive reinforcement. Not in the past 14 years has it
EVER been beneficial for ferret.

Now there may be confusion between a biting ferret and a younger
ferret that was improperly trained... Let me explain,.. young ferrets
purchased at pet shops are traditionally sold right when they are
teething. So at first their teething is harmless... but by allowing
them to chew or mouth they are learning it is okay to use their teeth.
This becomes the issue when they are bigger and stronger as it now
hurts the humans. BUT this behavior was taught or reinforced by the
humans. Now imagine how confused when one day the ferret is punished,
scolded and penalized for doing what it was doing just the day
before... you have the picture. Even with children training needs to
be consistent and this is inconsistent. You get nippers and angry
ferrets from mis handling & mis training them.. allowing them to
teeth when young and then swatting them when it hurts us.

So please keep this point in mind when next bringing a baby ferret
home.

Consistency in training is the BEST rule. Give that ferret something
besides your fingers or hand to teeth on. Never cause the ferret to
need to bite for defense. With those tools you will all be happier
in your partnership.

Those are the words today from this old shelter mom.

Alicia at www.ferretwise.org