From:
"Michael Dutton, DVM, DABVP" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 21 Aug 1996 07:31:47 -0400
**The advice dispensed by myself in reference to FML postings is not meant
to supplant the advice of veterinarians who are in charge of the patient.
If the patient is not currently under the care of a veterinarian, the client
is recommended to take their ferret to one.**

>From:    Pam Sessoms <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Help: spinal cord injury
>I hope someone can help me with a medical problem.  Here's the history,
>followed by the current treatment and status.

You are between a rock and a hard place.  I would continue with the high
dose of steroids as long as you see some improvement.  Typically the further
away in time from the injury, the less improvement you will see.  At 30 to
45 days, you will see probably have the most it will improve.  The improving
response with each increase in steroids is not typical of a spinal cord
injury.  There may be some continuing inflammation/disease.  Unfortunately
(or fortunately depending on your point of view), most of these are hard to
diagnose and pets are routinely treated with steroids anyways.

>From:    "Irena Arthur (OPS|schwanke)" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: the PROGRAM & fleas

The response to the PROGRAM you are seeing is typical for a flea infested
house.  PROGRAM does not kill adult or immature fleas, it works at the
egg/baby flea part of the lifecycle.  The adult and immature fleas need to
die off of old age - a one to two month process.

If you use PROGRAM and you have a flea infestation, you need to kill the
adults with some other product (make sure it is kitten safe) until the
lifecycle is sufficiently broken.  You also need to treat ALL the pets
(dogs, cats included) in the house at the same time with the PROGRAM.

>From:    Daniel LaForce <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: HELP!  My ferret may die
>For the last few days my ferret has be acting tired and hasn't been eating
>much, she has lost alot of weight and is now dehydrated.  Her anus and
>vagina are bleeding and she can't walk.  She drinks only when you bring it

This ferret needs intensive nursing and supportive care NOW.  Find a vet who
can deal with it NOW.  (I e-mailed her directly also)

>From:    Catherine Shaffer <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Kidney cancer?  Vet question
>I'm horribly worried about my Mortimer.  Sebastian was due for shots this
>week, and since Morty has been looking thin for the past couple of months

See what the surgery shows.  Kidney cancer can occur, but much more common
is an adrenal tumor (sits right on top of the kidney) that overlaps the
kidney and feels like an enlarged kidney.  Secondary to stress or other
types of metabolic disease, you can get an enlarged spleen.  Unless it looks
cancerous or is massively enlarged, treating the other problems will usually
shrink it back to normal size.

>From:    "R. Parrish" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: ECE
>A couple of days after we brought Coco Puff home, we found some dried-up
>green slimy (at least it looked like it probably was before it dried out)

All green diarrhea does not equal ECE.  If Coco Puff is acting normal and
his stool consistency is now normal, I would just monitor it.

>From:    Bido <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: PROGRAM flea control
>My parents used PROGRAM on their Cocker Spaniel and were not at all
>impressed with the results.  Does this apply to ferrets?  I'll leave that up

I would hold off on Frontline (by Rhone Merieux) for now until we have some
more information on it.  The big reason is that it does NOT wash off, so if
the ferret has a problem/reaction to Frontline, you are stuck.

>From:    Laura Bosch <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Ferret Pupils
>This is a bizarre observation, but I've noticed that when I shine a bright
>light in my ferrets' eyes (no, not to interrogate them) their pupils narrow

One hypothesis is that vertical slits allow the animal to see up and down
better while horizontal slits allow the animal to survey horizontal stuff
better.  So cats (who look up for bird prey) have vertical slits and horses
(who scan the horizon for danger) have horizontal slits.  Round slits allow
a better all around view.

Mike Dutton, DVM, DABVP
Weare Animal Hospital
Weare, NH.

[Moderator's note: Second hand info I've read: Rhone Merieux says that
Frontline can be removed with benzoyl peroxide lotion.  Of course, not
necessarily something many people have around... BIG]