Date:
Tue, 16 Sep 2008 07:09:55 -0700
When Alex posed her question on how could she have known her beloved
older dog Allis would kill when Allis had given no warning in 11 years
I decided to take a *closer look* at my own dogs.

I have two, both 6 years old.

Beau, the Lab cannot be trusted with the ferrets. How do I know he will
kill one? I don't, but I see how agitated he gets when the ferrets are
playing.

Just normal wrestling he lays at the barrier, watches, tail wagging.

The minute a ferret squeaks, Beau puts up red flags. He stands stiff
legged, body tensed, but the tail still wags. He looks at me as if to
say, *mommmm, they're crying*

Does he just want to join the play, or does he want to stop it?

A bark gets him put outside or in another room.

With Beau, I know, his body language tells me he wants to do
*something* with the ferrets, I don't want to find out what.

Sunshine, a Golden Retriever can be trusted with the ferrets, as far
as I can tell. I see nothing to indicate otherwise. No posturing, no
*looks*, nothing.

He will sit with his head in my lap while I hand feed a sick ferret.
He holds still while a ferret licks his nose, eyes closed as if to
say, ahhh, sweet ferret kisses. So nice.

The last two days I have been really, reallllly looking for some
indication, anything at all that might tell me Sunshine cannot be
trusted around the ferrets.

Like Alex with Allis, I see nothing.

Thanks to ALL that have shared your darkest inner pain, I will
continue to watch, especially as my dogs age, have their health
issues, etc. Like all of you, I will continue to do my best to
keep all of my animals as happy and as safe as I can.

Ardith