From:
mark bethke <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 Oct 2002 09:49:35 -0700
Hello fellow ferret people.
I'm new to the list and have some news that you might find interesting .

On a recent trip up the coast of california we stopped in Trinidad, a
small coastal fishing town neatly packed into a small picturesque cove.
We had stopped for dinner at a recommended spot that overlooked the pier
and cove .  We finished dinner and sipped coffee while enjoying the view,
outstanding.  I noticed four small objects sliding across the glassy
surface .  I asked the waitress who was dropping the check, "Oh , that's
that otters."

By the time the word otters was said i was out the door , camera in tow
and scampering down the wet pier.

At mid point on the pier there is a floating dock and there they were ,
not sea otters but RIVER OTTERS!!!!!  (mustelidae lutra canadensis).  I
never thought I'd ever see river otters and in salt water near humans was
very unusual .  The group (business?) was (or is ) a mature male & female
and two kits .  I watched as they swam around the platform and then
climbed out onto the dock and began rolling about , i'd assume they were
marking the spot as theirs.  I got about 4 shots from the pier then found
a unlocked gate and made my way down to the dock and at this point the
four of them had moved to the other end of the dock where the four played
just like our little ones, the rolled , did the hopping dance, play
nipping, and all the joy we see daily when we let the weasels loose .
This was a once of lifetime find and observance.  if you take a trip up
the coast please try to stop in and see it for yourself , you might never
have this opportunity again , every though the river otter is considered
Endangered in most states they are still hunted for pelts , I'm not
trying to bum people out , just trying to make the public informed .
this is a link to a web site with info about river otters
http://www.ngpc.state.ne.us/wildlife/otters.html

Mark (ferreter)