From:
sukie crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 Nov 2003 14:24:46 -0500
Sheri, yes, well written post with good points!  Like you we have found
that euthanasia has not been painful for the ferrets.  In our ferrets'
cases we've chosen to have them first given something to knock them out,
then given the final shot.

The trick, of course, is that knowing when it is time is something only
the family and treating vet can know.  Ditto, treatments which may return
quality of life for a decent stretch.

There simply are particulars which no one else can know from a distance.
That's why a post like your's which discusses options and facts without
assuming to actually know when it is time for someone else's ferret to
die is a good one.  It's not the topic which is a problem, but when
people impose without knowing the individual ferret or the particulars.

>I don't think that anyone has a right to make a determination for
>someone else about when it's time to put an animal to sleep.  It's a
>very personal decision, but I personally feel that it's time when an
>animal is suffering and basically has little or no quality of life left.

Those are usually our criteria, too, but we have one exception.  When it
looks like there is a decent chance that treatment might permit a ferret
to have a long stretch of life then we try it if the risk factor isn't
too high.  You know how it is, that is the sort of thing which depends
on a combination of factors like vet advice, the risks or side effects
of the procedures, the ferret's spirit, etc.  I't like trying to cure an
infection in a little who might have a chance of surviving and whose pain
can be controlled enough to allow play, or putting a ferret who is having
trouble trouble post op on IV, or giving sub-cu and feeding according to
vet's instructions (force feeding is something to not try without
instruction because of the aspiration pneumonia risk, but it does have
it's place and is useful when needed and done right.

It's also important to know that at times religious belief differences
will be part of when anyone makes such a choice and that, too, in
personal and not something anyone else has a right to impose upon.

>Sometimes people are told by vets that an animal is dying of a terminal
>illness such as cancer or a brain tumor and they know that the animal
>is suffering and only has a matter of months to live at best.  Yet they
>will STILL put the poor animal through surgeries and all sorts of very
>painful treatments which end up hurting the animal MORE in the end.

Important point here: when there is confusion and the diagnosis isn't
sure but good samples exist have the SAME specimens read by others.  That
is what we did with Ashling when there finally was a good enough sample.
The same tissues went also to another pathologist and oncologist.  That
way she was spared further testing, but more information was derived.
It's an option that people don't always realize can at times be
available.

Karen wrote:
>Months went by and many adjustments of meds.  Many $$$'s spent.  Noble
>got more and more active as well as more and more loving.  Before Noble
>left us on his last adventure, he was climbing trees!!  I am so glad
>that I never gave up on him and that his lil tounge kept him alive.  He
>got some very good quality in the end...
>My criteria for the mercy shot is for the ferret to have a terminal or
>non curable illness and to be in obvious pain.

Agreed strongly, and it is so very, very beautiful that you were able to
give Noble more quality time by figuring out his meds.  We've seen that
sort of thing a number of times ourselves, too.

Olivia is completely correct that when done right pain meds do not put
the ferrets in a fog.  I have to wonder if maybe some people just have
never seen those meds used well.