From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 31 Mar 2002 14:23:23 -0500
Extensive sub-cu bleeding -- if there was not an injury -- leads one to
think that red blood cells are being destroyed and the cause needs to be
found.  Think of typical causes of anemia first.  It's vet visit time --
sooner rather than later since some forms of anemia in ferets can suddenly
become dangerous.  Glad to hear it's not affecting Pepper now, but that
might change if cause isn't found and response taken.  A deep tissue
injury will result in a steadily increasing bruise for a while and then
clear up just as with humans.  Other than post-surgical one s we haven't
had any here in ferrets but I cna tell you that a human dislocated hip can
result over days (even with hip returning on its own and the person able
to walk) in bruise from the ASIS (almost to the waist) down to mid-thigh.

>Melatonin: among the things that info can be found on by suing the
>archives of the Ferret Health list.

"Using" "Using" -- gadds, I hate bad allergy seasons; ca't see stright or
thnk straight.

Sometimes it's the ferret people who are behind the times or aren't
separating hypotheses from actual knowledge, so don't always assume the
vet is wrong.  With a reading of 37 I can see why her vet may have assumed
this was possibly an advanced (butpreviously hidden) case of insulinoma,
nad in that cause the sugar warning may not stand.  Also, the sugar
warning for early insulinoma is form a hypothesis so is a GUESS not
something acutally known.  That said we ban sugar here from teh early
ones, but are trying it as an additoin now for one with an advanced
case in case it may be helpful.  The out put of nsulinomae is not
blood-glucose-livel dependent, and in advanced cases the nomral tissue
(which does respond to blood levels) canbe so suppressed as to be
inactive or largely inactive.

--Sukie
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Ferret-Health-list/
http://geocities.com/sukieslist