From:
"Michael Dutton, DVM, DABVP" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 16 Dec 1996 23:22:48 -0500
**The advice dispensed by myself in reference to FML postings is not meant
to supplant the advice of veterinarians who are in charge of the patient.
If the patient is not currently under the care of a veterinarian, the client
is recommended to take their ferret to one.**

>From:    Steven Markowitz <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Strange red bumps that come and go
>Well, here's an interesting one that I cannot figure out.  Our 4 year old
>female (Mica) has been getting red slightly raised spots on her skin.

Probably folliculitis (inflammation of hair follicles).  Can be bacterial,
food induced, unknown origin.  If they are not bothering her, just monitor
it for now.  If itchy, have the vet check it out and do a skin scraping to
check for mites.

>From:    Lindsay McGinnis <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: My poor sick baby : (

Wrong treatment regimen approach.  I would consider finding another
veterinarian (I m feeling very blunt today, sorry).
1. Anti-diarrheal. First choice peptobismol - 1 cc three to four times daily.
2. Antibiotics - consider at least two to four weeks worth.  Amoxicillin is
   the preferred first choice.
3. Aggressive nursing care - maintain body weight, hydration and body
   temperature.

>From:    Nathan Sundman <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: dry skin and shelters in MI
>My ferret has dry skin.Does anyone know if there is anything to do about it
>besides bathe it less often?

Try a food supplement made specifically for dry fur.  In somes ferrets
Ferratone works well.  Most others you may want to try DermCaps, Pet-derm,
Efa-Tabs to name a few.  Your vet should be able to help.

>From:    micky <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Fleeeeeas, Fleeeeas, How do I get them off
>About 6 weeks ago I discovered some fleas on one of my two ferrets,

Consider using the once-a-month products such as Program by Ciba.  Super
safe for mammals.

>From:    Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Meltdown got through another one, vet question
>Meltdown had two easy days and then had another bout of syncope today, but
>it was not as protracted a one as those during the weekend.

If musk release is epinephrine related, the irregular heartrate causes
decreased blood pressure causing syncope (fainting) and the body tries to
raise the blood pressure by increasing the constriction of the blood
vessels.  One of the chemicals that do this is epinephrine.

>Date:    Wed, 11 Dec 1996 19:15:29 -0500
>From:    Karri Knutson <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Sick??????
>The other day I noticed Ceezer kept running to the litter box and not going.

Possibly sick.  Too hard to give even a tentative diagnosis based on the
signs.  I recommend a trip to the vet s.

>From:    Laura Young <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Vet question,a couple treat stories,sofa solution#8001
>Vet question---Halo(5mo.  unaltered male) has a white circle on the inside
>of his throat.  It's about a cm across and is located on the right side

May be an abscess.  Occasionally may be a tumor.  I recommend having it
biopsied to be sure.

>From:    "Valori K. Blank" <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Cancer Screening and Teeth Cleaning

About $80 - 100 for a dental cleaning here.

As for the Cancer Screening, that is probably an inappropriate term.  They
are recommending some blood tests, one of which is probably a glucose test
to check for the presence of an insulinoma.  Whole body x-rays may detect
internal lymphosarcoma.  These are great suggestions for the older ferret
(greater than 5 years), but probably too aggressive for your youngsters.

>From:    [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Update on Jerry (kidney failure)
>Jerry, one of our two original ferrets, just turned 7 on or about December
>1st.  She recovered well from adrenal/insulinoma surgery which was performed
>on October 18.  Unfortunately, her kidney failure is progressing.  ...

The jury at this time is still out on Amphogel for kidney failure.  It doesn
t hurt so when you have run out of other options and the phosphorus is high,
consider it.  Another trick with some kidney failure cats is using an
anabolic steroid such as Winstrol V.  It may reduce the catabolic state and
minimize nitrogenous waste products.  Use the cat dosing.

>From:    Regina Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: teeth;baths
>Well, all this talk about cleaning teeth here and in Modern Ferret inspired

Anesthesize him!  You do a better job, less stress for ferret.  Modern
anesthestics and techniques should work work well for a five year ferret.

Mike Dutton, DVM, DABVP
Weare Animal Hospital
Weare, NH, USA