From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Feb 1995 14:18:26 EST
I've really been enjoying everyone's stories lately about ferret antics, and
also send my sincerest get-well wishes to anyone's whose fuzzbean is sick.

What's in a name?  to Linda re: Munchie: I think names are very important.
Myself, I would change Munchie's name since she's a biter, to something much
more mellow, like Sweetpea or Angel, because I think names reinforce how we
feel about them.  Good luck, I'm glad you were able to take her in.

To Robert the new ferret owner--it's very gratifying to hear about people who
really look into a particular animal before getting one and then are very
happy with their decision.  It helps to hear stories like this to balance out
the negative ones!  Good luck and wishing you lots of happiness!

On ferrets that wake up with a start--all 3 of my fuzzies wake up
differently.  Sometimes (but not always) Cinderella literally jumps up and
out of bed (or wherever she's sleeping).  Then she stretches and yawns and
falls over and all that cute stuff.  Ralph gets up more slowly but is raring
to go once he's up ("okay, I'm up, what can I get into??????") Norman likes
to sleep in; he usually gets up a bit after Ralph and takes his time before
deciding what to wreak havoc upon.

I cleared out some space under a shelf in the bathroom the other day, where
the baseboard goes through the wall.  Not long after, I noticed that Ralph
had suddenly disappeared from his self-appointed job of helping unpack the
groceries.  Since Norman was still busy going through the bags, I found it
highly suspicious that Ralph was no longer around (a mother's intuition or
something).  So I went looking for him and sure enough, he had torn away some
of the plasterboard and gotten into the wall in the bathroom by the
baseboard.  He seemed unhappy and was trying to get out (but of course,
couldn't get himself back *out* the way he got in.) So I took out another
chunk of plasterboard and got him out--really, you make a minor change and
they have to investigate!!!  That's what I get for cleaning!  And the very
clever solution, thought up by a fellow FMLer, was to stick a floor tile over
the plasterboard.  Works very well, thanks :-)

[Moderator's note: clever folks, these FML people.  Glad to see there is
contact among subscribers even outside of the FML.  BIG]

Re: silly toys--one of Ralph's favorites is a rolling eyeball-- about an inch
and a half in diameter, and the eyeball is always looking straight up--he
pushes it around and actually gets his teeth around it and takes it off to
his hiding place.  What makes it look so silly is the eyeball, though you do
have to be careful as there is oil inside and they occasionally leak, so I
only let him have it if I'm around and can keep an eye on it, so to speak.

Re: is two more fun than one?  It's a whole different experience.  The trick
is to get two that are compatible.  But there's nothing funnier than watching
Ralph and Norman bouncing up and down chasing each other through the house,
or literally throwing themselves on top of each other, falling off the bed
and doing it again, or getting into mischief together.  I think they get into
much more trouble than a single ferret, but they're hysterical to watch.

Sorry, but I also need to comment on declawing ferrets.  I hope some day the
US follows the policy of European countries that have outlawed cosmetic
mutilation of animals.  No operation is truly simple--it is always a risk to
go under anesthesia.  And the skill with which vets declaw varies
greatly--there are many horror stories along with the ones that go well.  But
ultimately, I agree with Johan, that you are limiting the animal's normal
behavior.  And having had a hand operated on, I can say that it is an
extremely sensitive area of the body and was a very painful experience.

On a more positive note--the Mass.  group is moving right along re: legislation
thanks to Bill W and Dick Bossart and everyone else; here's hoping for a
positive outcome this year!

--Ronnie; (Cinderella, Norm & Ralph's mom)