From:
Shelley Trulock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Apr 2002 10:57:34 -0400
Well folks, I suspect the next few fmls will be full of responses to Jen
Morrison's post, however, I couldn't let this be without saying something
myself.  I consider myself fortunate to have been involved with the rescue
in that I got to help out and also got to know all of the little ones that
ended up at the Dook Nook.  How lucky they were!

First, for Jen Morrison to state that the ferrets were healthy before
leaving Utah is a total falicy.  Even though I didn't see the conditions
at the condo in person, I did hear what was found by animal control...
cages stacked high, no room for exercise, maggots in the bedding, and a
horrible foul stench.  I shudder to think when such basics as fresh food
or water was provided.  If my memory serves me correctly, the reason that
the rescue got started was because someone complained of the odor coming
from the condo.  Most odor from ferrets is from unclean bedding or a
filthy litterbox, not the animal itself.  Sure, there might be a musty
odor, but nothing strong enoug h to make its way through walls for crying
out loud.  To me, thats not a healthy/happy environment.  At that point
is when animal control went in, found the conditions, and got the animals
out of there.  Bless them for this.  If the conditions were healthy and
satisfactory, why would animal control have wasted their time?  Bottom
line is they wouldn't have.

As far as the animals getting sick during transport, I'm sure the
traveling was very hard on them.  Heck, it would be hard on me to travel
from Utah!  However, let me tell you that that was a piece of heaven
compared to what they were living in!  I'm sure some got sick because of
the stress of travel.  I'm no vet and not the brightest person in the
world, but I wasn't aware that tumors, un-neutered males, insulinoma or
adreanal disease could be caused by transport.  Give me a break!  How long
did these animals sit in the carriers not only longing for human attention
and love but for basic medical care?  Makes me want to cry just thinking
about it.  For it to be stated that basically we got what we deserved with
regards to the vet bills is totally tacky.  All we got was the burden of
someone elses irresponsiblity, plain and simple.  It is a disgrace that
what has been published is so far from the truth, should be illegal in my
humble opinion.  I can't imagine anyone thinking that what happened in
Utah with the se animals was an acceptable behavior.  Just isn't logical
to me.

For a $500 fine and a years probation be the punishment is a disgrace to
everyone who loves and cares for ferrets and animals in general.  I just
can't fathom why this happened.  And from the looks of things, there is
nothing stopping other animals from meeting this same horrible fate.
$500 sure isn't enough punishment to make a difference or deter such
deplorable behavior.  To call this animal abuse is an understatement!!!

There has got to be a way for the truth to be published about what
happened in Utah with the rescue.  If you were involved in any part of
the rescue and saw what happened, send an email to the reporter.  There
is truth in numbers!

Shelley plus 3 (Raz, Marcel, and Spike)