From:
"J. STEPHEN WILLIAMS" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Jan 2000 14:55:47 -0500
My heart goes out to those of you who have had "babies" pass on.  I have
not yet had to deal with it personally, but soon may have to face the facts
of ferret mortality.  My three little darlings are all five(5) years old
and encountering the most common of ferret maladies, adrenal tumors.

Sophie has also had lymphosarcoma for nearly a year now, biopsy confirmed
last February.  She has a "hairless" tail and thinly furred body but is
still playful as ever.  And, alas, her recent CBC blood test was normal.
Maybe it's the Timmy's Tonic she's been on, but whatever.  I welcome the
remission of that horrible diagnosis.

Buddha's has been losing his fur since October.  I had hoped it was just
"coat change", but in an ultrasound last week the vets at the Univ.  of Ga.
saw a large tumor on his right adrenal.  Except for intense itching and
scratching, he seems to be feeling none the worse for it.  He is a silver
blaze and is deaf, but the most playful of them all.

I noticed since the Fall that Scooter acted like he wasn't seeing well.  It
turns out that he has cataracts on both eyes.  Has anyone ever heard of
this before?  His coat is still full but his tail is thinning.  Early signs
of adrenal disease I suspect.

At what age do ferrets enter their geriatric period of life?  I know that
"old" pets of all kinds fall victim to various illnesses; just when does
this begin in ferrets?  Are we "stretching" the life spans of ferrets to
want them to live 8 or 10 years?  I will really weep when my "babies" go,
as do we all; until then I will do my utmost to keep them happy and
comfortable.

My vet is checking into Lupron treatments and I will start my crew on it as
soon as next month.

Meanwhile, say some prayers for mine, as I do for yours.

 J. Stephen Williams, M.T.
     with Sophie, Scooter, and Buddha