From:
Jane Bradley <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 May 2011 12:45:46 -0400
Our first 2 ferrets were Modo and Weasel. Modo was the brains and
Weasel the brawn! At that time we had a 2 door cabinet in our dinning
room. It has been ferret safe until one day.....I saw Modo and Weasel
standing side by side in front of said cabinet. Their heads were
touching with Modo just a little in the front. He then nudged Weasel
with his nose. Weasel walked up to the cabinet, laid down on his back
and starting pushing at the doors from the back edge. After several
tries one popped open and Modo jumped right in with Weasel following. I
have no doubt that Modo figured out just how the door could be opened
but he needed Weasel's strength to do so. Talk about team work!

And I totally agree with the post about submission in ferret language.
We have several large late alter males that use this "roll over to
their side and back" position all the time with us. We are trained
now to scratch this tummies and back of their necks, pick them up
and cuddle or even pass out treats. Gotta ask though just who is in
submission with this at our house!! All kidding aside though, we have
had many ferrets over the years that use this position. As was said,
always treat them well and with kindness when submission is displayed.
I do have to point out though, none of our females ever use this!

Jane