From:
Anna Curry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Oct 1998 15:34:43 -0400
>Hello Anna,
>
>I was enjoying your post today on the FML and just had to ask you
>something, as I'm in the midst of getting ready to ferret-proof, also.
>
>So, my question: How on earth does 1/2"x1/4"xwhatever length wood trim keep
>a ferret out from under a sofa?  Does the sofa sit very low to the ground,
>or did you use a lot of strips of it?
>
>- Megan

Dear Megan,
Good question!  My sofa sits very low to the floor (an inch).  What I did
since my Belle was in the process of making a nest out of the bedding in my
sofa I ripped away the bottom linner which was ripped open by Belle and
wrapped each end of a sheet around that trim about 4 or 5 times, after I
cut the sheet to the size of the sofa, allowing 5 or 6 inches on each side.
I pulled the sheet tighter as I did each of the 4 sides.  I used black
tacks and a hammer.  Now there is only 1/4 opening from the floor to the
sofa so she can't get in that way.  They sell this trim in all different
sizes if you have a bigger space to fill.  I also had to stuff blankets
(towels didn't work) in the openings under the cushions.  She still gets in
there sometimes but it takes time to be as smart as her.  Of course she
shared her hiding place with Tigger but he is twice her size and since I
switched to blankets he can't get in there anymore.  The thing I did was
put out additional hiding places for her that are appropriate.  When I find
her in the sofa I put her in a different hiding place hoping that she will
go there first next time.  It's working slowly but surely.  To get her out
of the sofa I squeak one of her toys or shack her treats and she comes
running.  I don't know if anyone told you yet but you need this.  Something
that your baby will come running to if she is lost, ringing a bell, shaking
treats (if you do this make sure you always have an extra box because I was
out of treats one time and couldn't find her), or a squeaky toy.  Don't
panic if she doesn't come running right away.  They are VERY DEEP SLEEPERS
and it takes them a little while (about 5 minutes) for them to wake up.  I
have had MANY mini heart attacks over this.  Belle and Tigger have run of
my house after I made it safe.

Making your home/room safe: Follow them around, when they find a place
that you don't want them in fix it.  I would keep her in her cage unless
supervised until you are sure you have fixed all the dangers.  My house was
easy, I fixed the sofa and I took the covers off my heaters and cut chicken
wire to fit making sure it was tightly secured with bendable wire "string"
and replaced the covers on the heaters and made sure I always keep the
toilet seat down and that was about it.  Oh, I also have to keep one closet
door shut at all times because it goes under the tub and there is a hole in
the floor for plumbing that goes to the basement.

Also the biggest mistake that I ever made was using a baby gate to keep her
in my mothers kitchen when I visit.  This was the baby gate made of wood
with the white plastic covering wire.  The openings are a square inch.
Belle got stuck in one up to her hips.  We had to cut the wire with wire
cutters.  Wire cutters are big and Belle had filled the whole with her body
and there was no real room to cut.  I never heard her cry like that, she
was in such pain.  It took us about 5 minutes to get her out but she was
ok.  She looked at us like "what the heck just happened".  She got a lot of
special attention and treats after that one.  Me and her Dad almost killed
each other trying to find the wire cutters in a strange house.  So be
prepared when going on visits.  Also keep in mind when visiting that not
everyone's vents (HVAC) are fastened to the floor/wall.  That would be a
horror to have them stuck/lost in duck work.

I hope this helps and I didn't confuse you too much.  Good luck, God Bless,
and enjoy your baby.

Anna, Belle, & Tigger
Maryland