From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 7 May 2003 13:28:51 -0400
Yes, sometimes they mark territory, but the risk factor is so very
large when a male has trouble urinating due to prostate enlargement
secondary to adrenal disease that it is not something to fool around
with.  If you go to FML or the FHL Archives and check on this using
words like "dysuria", "prostate", "Proscar",or "Propecia" you will
find that if there is even a suspicion of difficulty urinating a
rapid vet visit is called for.  You'll also find a compilation of
some past posts on causes of dysuria in the Files section at the FHL.
http://listserv.cuny.edu/archives/ferret-search.html
http://fhl.sonic-weasel.org/
http://www.smartgroups.com/vault/ferrethealth/prostate.txt

Yes, dysuria can be the first sign of an adrenal growth.  We had one male
who had absolutely no signs until he one day suddenly could not urinate
at all.  (General signs of not being well would have not been noticed
because he also was dealing with some bad deformities including of the
stomach and with IBD, so he already wasn't well ever.) The vet had to
empty his bladder with a syringe and he had emergency surgery.  Which
symptom or symptoms of adrenal neoplasia show up first depends on the
individual.

Jaime, YES!  We are just the same way.  When in doubt get a vet's
opinion!  There are also some things we jump immediately on, even if
it means paying for an emergency appointment: injuries, coughing, not
urinating, etc.  NOTHING replaces veterinary care.

Scarlet, look for Mike Janke's recent posts on one of his in the FHL
Archives (address above).  I think that one threw a clot if i recall
right but this approach is being tried.

Yes, we've noticed that massage can give more comfort when there is
sarcopenia due to a serious illness.

Don't forget that adjusting medications is necessary throughout
insulinoma to adjust the doses of Prednisone or Prednisolone (Some
ferrets respond better to the second perhaps due to their livers not
processing the first med well.) and Diazoxide to provide optimal control.
When the meds no longer hold the ferret sometimes adding dietary sugars
will.  We don't give sugars before then with one of these ferrets, but
at times that addition when needed will give a good chunk of extra
quality time.

Important usual disclaimer that I repeat periodically often enough that
some folks have said they are tired of it :-): I am NOT a vet.