From:
Marie Wallace <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Dec 1998 20:31:59 EST
I have custom made cages.  The floor is plywood covered with vinal flooring
and the bracing is PVC plumbing pipes connected with PVC connectors, all of
this is surrounded by a high grade coated hardware cloth and secured with
sheetmetal screws.  Living in Florida bugs (and I don't mean the cute
little animated ones from,"It's a Bugs Life) are an obvious nuisance to
every walk of life.  I refuse to use any chemicals around my fuzzies so,
spraying pesticides is not an option for me.  I had no problem other than
an occasional palmetto bug (BIG roach looking bug) looking for water in my
bathrooms from time to time that was until, our eldest son stored a few
items for his friend.  The friend not only stored a guitar and amp. but
more than a few German roaches and they multiply so rapidly that I feel
like I'm loosing the battle.  My question is; Will Maxatrax roach
(manufactured by, Hot Shot.  Active Ingredients; Chlorpyrifos{ 0,0-diethyl
0-(3,5,6-trichloro-2-pyridyl) phosphorothioate} 0.50% Inert Ingredients;
99.50% ) bait stuck to the plywood under tha cage for which the ferrets
have no access to, hurt my fuzzies?  My BIGGEST CONCERN is that the bugs
will ingest the bait, crawl into the babies food dishes die and will be
mistaken for food and be eaten by my babies or the bugs will track the bait
through their food or bedding.  Litter box's are changed and scrubbed every
day with a bleach and water solution and rinsed very, very well, their
cages are scrubbed (floors and inner struts) with bleach and water solution
(rinsed very well) and their bedding (double bed, fluffy cotton blankets)
and food dishes are washed every other day and the blankets are turned
inside out on off day's.  Our babies are well taken care of and spoiled to
death.  I've only seen 3 bugs so far under the end cage and I quickly
vaccumed them up but, where there is 3 there must be more.  I don't want
them in my house.  I have 5 cages (9 cu.  ft.  each) and 14 babies 2 with
adrenal and 1 mass cell.  What do I do?  Please HELP me?  Thanks!  Marie