From:
Sherry White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Feb 1998 11:32:37 -0400
Medi-Cal Feline, Recuperative Development - is the brand of food that I feed
my little ones, they seem to love it.  My vet highly recommends it, and you
can only purchase it at vet clinics.  Therefore you cannot purchase it a pet
stores, grocery stores etc... (Not that that is an important factor), good
food, is good food wherever you can find it.  I do not find it expensive
either $22.00 for say a 10 pound bag.  They have been eating this for their
life so far (both 5 this year).  And are in tip top shape.

Up here in Canada at least in New Brunswick I have never seen Totally
Ferret.  I have read from this list various posts on the quality of foods we
feed out little ones.  I have read numerous times that the protein content
should not be less than 32%.

This is the ingredients and nutritional breakdown directly from the package
listed in exact order.

poultry meal, rice flour, corn, poultry fat (preserved with tocopherols),
herring meal, corn gluten, dried eggs, liver digest, brewers yeast, fish
oil (preserved with tocopherols), calcium carbonate, dried whey, salt,
phosphoric acid, potassium chloride, choline chloride, taurine,
fructo-oligosaccharides, bacillus subtilis dried fermentation extract, DL
methionine, ferrous sulfate, vitamin e supplement, zinc oxide, borage oil
(preserved with vitamin e), ascorbyl palmitate, lysine, niacin, vitamin a
acetate, copper sulfate, manganous oxide, zinc methionine, D-calcium
pantothenate, beta carotene, riboflavin, thiamine, mononitrate, menadione
sodium bisufite complex, pyridoxine hydochloride, vitamin d3 supplement,
vitamin b12 supplement, folic acid, biotin and sodium selenite

Crude Protein   min. 30.0%
Crude Fat               min. 19.0%
Crude Fibre             max.  3.0%
Moisture                max. 10.0%
Ash                     max.  7.5%
Calcium         min.  1.1%
Phosphorus              min.  0.9%

I trust my vet whole heartedly, but I was just curious, I noticed the
protein is less than 32%.  They do get their ferretone as well.

Can anyone please let me know if this food is up to snuff, should I feed
them additional anything?  They are getting a little older and I want to
make sure that they are getting all the proper nutrition.  Please advise.
Thanking all of you FMLers in advance..

Sherri
This is a rose for you,
pretend it's red
with a green stem.

[Moderator's note: I did finally get to ask the lawyer types if posting the
ingredient statements of pet foods is likely to be a copyright violation.
As one might expect, I got a very mixed answer.  The very short opinion is
"in some cases" and if not done "too often" then it might be OK.  I'll
continue to guess on a case-by-case basis.  BIG]