From:
carmen stephan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 5 Nov 1999 01:09:51 -0800
There will always be good and bad ferret - owners.  Over here (in Holland)
a lot of ferret owners are complaining about the way hunters are taking
care of there ferrets.  And yes some of them are still feeding them with
milk and bread..but talking about abused animals..a hunter will never abuse
it, will never let it die for hunger or tie it up on a rope outside (the
way we found our Lieveke)..

To us it isn't always easy to decide whom you let adopt a ferret..we are
not able to visit people at their own place but we do have long
conversations and somehow in the end we decide if we do or won't let those
people adopt the ferret.  In the end my decision counts.

Somehow it seems to work since we still have contact to all of our
adoption"parents".  We know our ferrets, we worked with them and they are
still ours..if people cannot take care of them anymore they have to bring
them back to us.

Somehow I got the feeling the ferrets on this list are of a worser health
as ours.  A part of ours is staying outside, they have great fur, but they
all do come inside everyday for some hours, they sit on our bed etc..

At this moment we have over 50 ferrets, the biggest part is ours.  My two
eldest daughters each have four ferrets the youngest who just became nine
years old had 2, one is a kit (born August 11th), taking care of them is no
problem at all.  I have about 27 ferrets of my own, but honestly saying all
ferrets, also the one who came in the shelter are mine...sooner or later I
decide which ferret I will give free for adoption.  This decision depends
on the ferret and the person who is looking for a ferret.

Already having 10 or more ferrets nor a financial situation is a reason for
us, not to let a ferret be adopted by a person.

Our end consideration is also: attitude, commitment, willing to..  Some
shelters overhere refuse to let someone who hasn't got a ferret at all
adopt one, so you somehow get forced to get your first one from a pet shop
or so.

By,
Carmen

=====
F.F.F.
Pb 12, 4024 ZG, Eck en Wiel
Tel/Fax. 0344-692790
GSM:     0651-371058 na 19 uur 0626-482829