From:
Lee McKee <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Feb 1997 11:43:40 +0400
>From:    Raiden <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Biting Questions
>... Anyone have any tips on how to stop my ferret from biting people.  He
>never bites me, but he loves to bite my mother when he's running around...

This post really struck a chord because I, too, have a Mother Biter.

A Mother Biter is a ferret that plays nicely with children, young adults,
and most men, but when confronted by a woman of a certain generation, will
latch on.  It will surprise you, because the first inkling that you have
that they will bite any person is when your mom or an aunt visit.

My theory is that Mother Biters are sensitive to the hand lotions, cologne,
and other flowery scents that mothers tend to wear.  I observed where Errata
tended to bite people (hands, wrists, neck, ears); and then had two
previously bitten subjects wash their hands and faces (rinsing the soap
completely) before being with the ferrets again.  Errata ignored the
scentless subjects.  Not exactly a strict randomized control trial, but,
then, I didn't get a lot of volunteers.  I have noticed, though, that when I
use a certain soap or hand lotion, Errata is more interested in my hands and
more likely to bite.

It could also be that you have a ferret who knows that he won't get away
with it if he bites you, but biting your mother has no immediate
consequences other than that she may make an interesting noise and run away.
True?  If so, you need to teach HER how to discipline the ferret.  If she
doesn't want to touch it, have her spray her legs with a little Bitter
Apple.  Over time, perhaps, if the biting ceases because of the negative
reinforcement, you can teach her how to handle the ferret so that it will
get to know her as another breathing being, rather than as a big annoying
thing.

Good luck,

-- Lee