From:
Pam Adey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Sep 2004 22:50:55 EDT
Look, nobody FORCED the seller to stop the sale of the ferret pelt on
e-bay.  The seller had a right to change their mind; and did so!  Eleanor
can say whatever she wants to persuade the seller; but it was always the
sellers choice to end the sale.  Eleanor is entitled to express her
opinion under the laws of free speech.  Forcing Eleanor to be silent;
for her perceptions of an injustice done to an animal, is infringing upon
HER rights and oppressing HER freedoms.  How can she be compared with a
terrorist because of her beliefs?  I don't recall that her letter said
anything threatening to blow up e-bay, shoot the seller, or behead
whoever buys the pelt.  She didn't make a list of demands or set a
deadline if those demands were not met.  What did she hijack and who
was she holding hostage?

Eleanor,
Don't apologize!  You have just as much right to speak out when you
feel an injustice is being perpetrated.  You EXERCISED your right to,
"Freedom of Speech" and it sounds like it worked out well because the
sale was stopped.  You didn't do a good thing, you did a GREAT thing!
Congratulations!  It was brave people like you that spoke out against
paying taxes to England's nobility and started the American revolution.
It was also brave people like you who spoke out against slavery and
ultimately put an end to it.  Freedom, as stated in the Bill of Rights,
is the very foundation of our country.  We now live this freedom that men
died to give us.  Yes, people have a right to sell fur; however, you,
(YES YOU, ELEANOR), have just as much a right to speak out against it.
You have every right to say that you're opposed to it, and give reasons
for that opposition.  Always, always speak out for what you believe in!
Always speak out against injustice no matter how insignificant it might
be to others.  Never allow yourself to be SILENCED or you will be giving
up your rights and freedoms that these men died to give you.  I am sorry
someone here made you cry.  It seems that there is always a price to pay
whenever we exercise our right to free speech here on the list.

Just for the record, you are what true American Heroes are made of, both
to me and my ferrets.

Pam