From:
"Mary Lyn G. Rivamonte" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Jan 1998 17:40:38 -0500
Since I couldn't shake the feeling that something was wrong with Gypsy
besides just gaining winter weight I decided to look her over closer.  After
taking a really close look I noticed she had a slightly swolen vulva and her
fur was a little thinner over her shoulders.  This made me really worry so I
brought her to the vet today.  Unfortunately I was right and something was
wrong, she has adrenal disease.  I have always connected adrenal disease in
my head with a balding ferret, so I hadn't recognized it right away from her
other symptoms.  The vet says that since we caught it in what appears to be
the very early stages there is a good chance we can treat it with the drug
Lysodren instead of needing to put her through surgery.  She says that she
has had good luck in the past with this method of treatment, but if Gypsy
doesn't improve after about four of five weeks she may still need surgery.
I hadn't realized there was a drug treatment, I had always just heard about
the surgery method, has anyone else had luck with the drug treatment?  Well,
I guess this experience is a reminder to me that I know my ferrets best so
when I have the feeling something is wrong, bring them to the vet.

Mary Lyn, Gypsy, and TG