From:
Bob Church <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Apr 1996 18:10:54 -0500
I'm up to my armpits in journals, books, and copies trying to get several
papers finished by next week, so I am a little late in answering all my
mail.  Have patience, and I will respond.

I leave for California <groan> May 4th, so if you want me to drop by, drop
me a line.  I'm going to try to be in Sacramento May 14(?) for the F&G
commission whatever (I promise to duct-tape my mouth shut!).  After that,
it's up to Oregon and Washington, and across the top to home.  verbal
abuse is appreciated if ferrets are included.  Now's your chance to see
the long and wavy hair, because I'm thinking of cutting it off and nailing
it to the wall.

I recieved _6_ requests for more ferret games.  I thought I would post it
here so the FLO can get ahold of it and ruin ferret owners/slaves everywhere.

Bowl Me Over Game:  Buy one of those $2 plastic bouncing balls (like at
K-mart) and cut a couple of ferret-sized holes in it. Fill the ball with
plastic bags or gift-wrapping cellophane, and watch the fun. Watch for
chewing the materials, otherwise quite safe.

Suction-cup Chase: Use two large suction cups (about $1 each), and stick
one to each side of a room.  Thread a washer or ring on a string, then tie
the string from one suction cup to the other.  Tie a string to the washer
and the other end to a toy or waffle-type practice golf ball.  They will go
nuts trying to get the ball in a hidey-hole.

Submarine: Pull out the old sleeping bag and zip it up, and climp in while
lying on the floor.  I recommend wearing shoes.  I sometimes call this
"Sweat and Shout."

Maze: Use a large cardboard box.  Fold scrap cardboard into triangular
shapes, tape, and fill the box with as many as possible.  Put one treat in
each triagular tube.  Cut several holes in the side, and allow the ferts
access.  Hours-0-fun!

Slip Sliding Away: Cut a 1 ft wide by 3-4 ft long piece of masonite ($5),
and prop it smooth-side up on a bench or sofa.  Place a drop of ferrettone
in the middle. (ain't I mean?)  A drop of ice cream is also good.

Smokey the Bear: This is Bear's favorite game.  Fill a file-storage box
about 1/3 with sand mixed with potting soil about 4 to 1.  Pour in 1/4
bottle of liquid smoke, and mix well.  They might be dirty afterwards, but
they actually smile!  I have watched Bear roll in the dirt for hours,
snorting and snorkling, and anything else you can imagine.  It's one of the
few things he will run across the floor for.  I place it in the kitchen for
ease of cleanup later.  Keeps them out of the litter box.

The Weasel Wonder Tube: Cut a piece of 2inch PVC pipe ($2) about 8 inches
long.  Place into the hole treats so thay have to figure out how to get the
treat out.  Make sure the ferret's heads don't get stuck.

Carpet Fishing: Use a ice-fishing pole with 20 lb test line.  Tie 3-4
red/white bobbers and cast across the room.  Reel the babies in at about the
speed a mouse would run if it was stupid enough to be in the room at the
time.  If you don't have the pole, use the string only; the pole makes it
much easier, but is not necessary.

Crinkle: Fold an old sheet in half and lay slightly crinkled newspaper or
cellophane in the middle.  Makes cool sounds.  Mine love to wardance on the
pile.

Chase the old man: I chase them on my hands and knees, then let them chase
me back.  You will tire before they do.  Watch for carpet-mines.

Snake!: Old pant legs are cut from the old pants and just thrown on the
floor.  They will know what to do.  Sometimes I stick one end of a dryer
tube into the pantleg.

Box-O-Balls: I fill a cardboard box about 1/3 up with plastic wiffle balls
(golf-size) or crumpled paper balls.  Don't say it....

Fingers: Cut mucho finger-sized holes in a cardboard sheet.  Dip your
fingers in ferrettone or liquid smoke.  Stick you finger through the hole,
and as they try to sniff, move it to another hole.  Stay fast or risk nips.
All of mine love this game.

Hope that keeps you FLO members busy for awhile.

Bob and the 13 Wacky Wonder Weasels