From:
Bruce Williams DVM <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Tue, 3 May 1994 07:56:20 -0400
To Cindy Sooy  -

       > My son's 1+ year old hob has developed a prolapsed rectum. His stools
>are normal and he's fine otherwise. It's not really bad, it's just beginning to
>protrude. I've been putting Panalog ointment on it which my vet had prescribed
>for a shelter ferret that had the same problem. It didn't really work for her
>and it doesn't seem to be doing much for him either. I read somewhere, and I
>think it was probably on the FML, about putting sugar water on it to reduce the
>swelling and relieve the soreness. Does anyone know anything about this or have
>any suggestions? What causes this condition in a healthy ferret? I could see if
>he had diarrhea for a while but his stools are normal. Can breeding cause him
>to strain and put pressure on it? He has entertained a few females quite
>recently.

Cindy Sooy

        Actually Cindy, most prolapsed rectums are due to gastrointestinal
difficulties, not breeding problems (although I suppose that anything that
exerts internal pressure in the abdomen of the animal could cause this.)
Prolonged diarrhea can cause a prolapsed rectum, or straining during defecation.
A problem with abnormally hard stools, or scar tissue resulting from an improper
descenting procedure can also cause difficulties in eliminating waste, and
subsequently cuase a mild rectal prolapse.

        Most mild cases are self-correcting after a few weeks.  Panalog ointment
at least keeps it moist until it can self correct.  Sugar water, while it will
have beneficial effects if in the right proportions is a thought, but is
difficult to get the exact concentration.  Ask your vet about urea cream - this
is an older formulation that is often used in large animals to take the swelling
out of prolapsed uteruses in cows (which is a real problem for cattle vets).  It
is a standard concentration that you can apply when the animal experiences
prolapse and irritation.

       Bruce Williams, DVM                 Department of Veterinary Pathology
       [log in to unmask]         Armed Forces Institute of Pathology
       (202) 576-2453/2454                 Washington, D.C.  20306-6000