From:
Deborah Kemmerer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 29 May 1999 19:16:04 -0400
Per Pam's suggestion that we vets address "standardizing" adrenal
surgery costs:

That would be very difficult to do, because everyone has different overhead
costs.  The use of the term "price-fixing" implies an inherent mistrust of
veterinarians, and perhaps that's really at the heart of this issue.

I read on the FML about $200-$300 right adrenal surgeries and can only
shake my head in wonder that anyone could do it that cheaply.  Based on
some follow-up surgeries I've done after "complete" right adrenalectomies
I also believe that sometimes these are surgeries that snip off whatever
part of the right adrenal is easily accessible, not true and complete
adrenalectomies.

As I stated in an earlier post, a true right adrenalectomy takes me 1 1/2
to 2 hours.  For simplicity's sake, let's say 2 hours.  When I break down
all my monthly expenses, $1500.00 a day gross income is break-even point
for me.  You'll just have to take my word for that, because I draw the
line at putting my accounting system on the FML :-)

By the way, according to the most recent AFA survey, half of ferret owners
bring home more than I do.  I'm not poor-mouthing, but I'm not getting
rich, either.

If I routinely charge $300 (total) for a surgery that takes two hours and
I work a ten-hour day, that's exactly break-even.  That's if I'm working
continually for ten hours.  I don't need higher math to know I have to
charge more than that if I ever want to buy new equipment or put away
anything for retirement.  To do it for $200 would mean I'd be bankrupt in
short order.

I'm sure there are vets out there whose overhead is less than mine, and
they can charge less for surgery, but there's the reality for me.  I
simply cannot do it for that amount on a regular basis, although I DO
make exceptions for honest hardship cases.

I believe there will continually be a full spectrum of prices, experience,
and ability, and the ferret owner must be able to make an informed choice.
There simply isn't an easy answer.  Cheaper is not necessarily better, but
neither is most expensive.  Alternatively, if someone charges more than
someone else that doesn't necessarily mean he/she is trying to gouge
anyone.