From:
Ann Gruden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Feb 2006 22:01:06 -0500
Some thoughts on this for the Canadian readers in Alberta.

Is it just me or does: '"The proposed changes to the VPA are very broad
and are intended to be all encompassing.  The Alberta Veterinary Medical
Association Members Magazine (March/April, 2004 edition) presents an
article entitled'Opening the Floodgates?' where the AVMA states their
intentions of restricting the delivery of health care services to animals
strictly to registered veterinarians.  A passage from this article
states:"The AVMA will continue to work with government to halt the
erosion of the profession due to legal technicalities and to restore to
Albertans the protection inherent in having registered veterinarians
legislated as the only persons qualified to deliver medical services to
animals, including dentistry and other subspecialties."' ... suggest
that only registered vets will have the ability to run animal shelters
throughout Alberta?  Would an animal shelter or, even owner, always be
required to have a veterinarain direct treatment of their animal?  Could
this mean Alberta farmers as well as pet owners will be required to have
a vet to direct the care of their animals' health?  How would "health"
be defined?

Not all health care requires the supervision of a vet . . . . . . .
cuts, scrapes, abrasisions, minor sores?  I would think the farming
industry would be up in arms over the proporsed language, along with
every animal shelter - public and private.  The burden of cost would be
insurmountable leading to further abandonment of otherwise healthy
animals.

As I read the language presented in the amendment, one would not be able
to scale placque from their pet's teeth unless they are a vet.  And when
biologic's are referenced (while I'[m not a professional and am not super
familiar with many other species and their care), would it mean that I
could not add antibiotics to an animal's feed if necessary?  (Isn't
giving some antibiotics common in animal drinking water?  I am thinking
fish, poultry and many other farm animals??), along with pets?

Not sure what the planned opposition to this is, but IMHO, would think
these are just some of the ways to send the AVMA and their protectionism
packing.

Ann Gruden
Ferret Assn of CT, Inc.